2 weeks fermentation good? Or wait longer? Belgian ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
2 weeks fermentation good? Or should I wait longer? Belgian ale.

It appears to be fully fermented, or almost fully fermented, as I don't see any bubbles going through the airlock, ever after watching it for a few minutes.

Have you taken gravity readings? If, after a few days and a couple gravity readings, you have a steady specific gravity, then it's done fermenting. But even if it's done, give it another week or two so the yeast can finish cleaning up after themselves.

Once it's finished fermenting, as shown by stable gravity readings, I wait for the beer to clear before packaging. If it's clear, and finished fermenting for at least 4 days, then it's fine to bottle. If it's not clear, wait another week or so until it is.

Once it's finished fermenting, as shown by stable gravity readings, I wait for the beer to clear before packaging. If it's clear, and finished fermenting for at least 4 days, then it's fine to bottle. If it's not clear, wait another week or so until it is.

+1

I typically don't even touch my fermenting bucket until 3 weeks.

You can theoretically bottle you beer as soon as it is done fermenting (3 steady gravity readings). That could be around 7 days. I wouldn't recommend it though. The beer will come out better looking and taste better if you let it sit for 3 weeks or more. I let my last pale ale sit for 5 weeks and it is the best beer I have made.

Fermentation isn't something you can gauge with your eyes, you'll need to get a gravity reading. Once it's stable for a few days you should be good to go.

+1 to the other replies here, but remember that Belgiums are usually bigger beers and aging can do very good things to them. Bottle conditioning is good, but mass conditioning in a fermenter can be better, faster. Try to go 4+ weeks if you can...

Thanks!

And even if I wait another week or so, I don't risk there not being enough yeast left to carbonate the beer once I add the sugar and bottle it?

I have to go along with what was stated. I've let ales sit in primary 5 weeks or so before bottling. As long as it's still slightly hazy,They'll be enough yeast left in suspension for the little bit of fermentation needed in the bottles to condition it over a minimum of 3 weeks at room temp. And put the bottles in a covered box to keep light from skunking them while they condition.

Back