2 week dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narmstrong

Reaction score
So after two weeks in the primary, my extract recipe called for a secondary of two weeks with a dry hop. This is a pale ale kit and I added some blackberries toward the end of my primary. Do I need two weeks in the secondary? I've heard/read that dry hopping is trending toward shorter time frames. What can I expect if I only leave it in for one week? I was hesitant towards a secondary in the first place but wanted to free up my primary for another batch.
I'm not picky, I've always made good beer, just getting a feel for some tweaking.

You really shouldn't dry hop for longer than 7 days. I usually don't like to go over 5. Longer leads to a grassy flavor.

What I would do is wait until fermentation slows or stops and then transfer to secondary, add fruit. Let that sit a few days, then dry hop for 5 with the fruit still in there. However, dryhopping a fruit beer doesn't sound right. You usually want a low IBU beer to fruit so you can taste the fruit. Something like a cream ale,or a wheat of some type.

Thanks "CC". The fruit was an experiment for color only. I really don't want to taste it much if at all. As for the hop question, a big thanks ill be bottling this weekend.

Back