2 starters 1 smack pack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Anyone ever try to make 2 starters out of 1 smack pack. I was thinking about making 2 starters and stepping them both up 1 time (obviously halfing the smackpack between 2 flasks). Then topping one off with cooled boiled water and storing in the fridge to save for a later date. Meanwhile, stepping the other starter up yet again and pitching into new wort. Am I missing something here.... it seems "logical"

I understand you might need to "nurse" the first one you plan on pitching as the initial cell count would be half.

Anyone ever try to make 2 starters out of 1 smack pack. I was thinking about making 2 starters and stepping them both up 1 time (obviously halfing the smackpack between 2 flasks). Then topping one off with cooled boiled water and storing in the fridge to save for a later date. Meanwhile, stepping the other starter up yet again and pitching into new wort. Am I missing something here.... it seems "logical"

I understand you might need to "nurse" the first one you plan on pitching as the initial cell count would be half.

You absolutely can. You don't need a ton of yeast as long as you're stepping it up over time. I've brewed a batch from two bottles of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis. Just make sure you use the second one fairly soon.

Oh BTW, this is where making starter wort in mason jars with a pressure cooker really pays off. I make a bunch of wort then pull a jar out as needed.

I just usually boil my mason jars and use the boiled water to top off. That's my yeast washing routine as least.

Back