2 row vs 6 row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flboy

Reaction score
Talking Rahr grain, what is the diff for me between 2 row and 6? Am just gonna start crushing my own grain and move into all grain. At 60 bucks for 33 lbs LME I can buy a sack of grain and a cheap corona mill. So this is my base to sub out the LME in my brews.

6-row has more enzymes, so it's especially useful to help convert things like corn or rice in the grainbill. but it has a distinctly "grainy" taste that isn't as pleasing as basic 2-row, so 2-row is generally preferred for most beers.

2-row almost always has enough diastatic power to convert adjuncts, so usually there isn't a need for 6-row for that purpose.

So I am looking at both, need my base, but am enjoying a brew using corn. Trying oatmeal next.

So I am looking at both, need my base, but am enjoying a brew using corn. Trying oatmeal next.

I'd have to calculate it out to be sure, and I'm too many homebrews into my Friday night to be inclined to do that- but at a rough guess I would say you could easily go 30-40% corn with two-row, but if you want more adjuncts than that some amylase enzyme and/or six-row would be indicated.

"I'd have to calculate it out to be sure, and I'm too many homebrews into my Friday night to be inclined to do that"- same Friday here! Guess I was jumping the gun cuz my lbs sells 2row for 45 a bag and 6 for 55. Found a place selling 6 for 41 and assumed 6 was more in demand and oh what a deal! Looks like I should go 2 row route.

2 row seems legit, I use it simular situations, though you really should think this through

"I'd have to calculate it out to be sure, and I'm too many homebrews into my Friday night to be inclined to do that"- same Friday here! Guess I was jumping the gun cuz my lbs sells 2row for 45 a bag and 6 for 55. Found a place selling 6 for 41 and assumed 6 was more in demand and oh what a deal! Looks like I should go 2 row route.

Yes, get the two-row! It's a base malt.

US 2-row for US beers, and English 2-row for English beers (and German for German, etc), although you can use them for other beers as well of course. You can use English two-row for American beers, but keep in mind that it's "bready" tasting compared to US two-row. That's nice in some beers, but it's important to recognize that there is a difference.

Back