2 questions please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ywgbrewer

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post, I would really love some advise or info. I recently moved from kits to extract brewing and planning to start all grain soon.
1) I pitched my yeast at 32 degrees C or 90 F, as I misread my new thermometer. Sheesh. I shouldn't have rushed. I pulled the wort chiller out to soon. It fermented normally though, and is in carboy now. Should I still try to bottle? Or could the batch be toast? It's a German Black ale with oak chips.
2) Also, on another kit beer, a cream ale, I got preoccupied and dumped the priming corn sugar directly into the bottling bucket, it foamed like crazy, I'm not sure why? I bottled it anyway after it settled down and I gave it a stir. I even had boiled the water, but I dumped the sugar in the beer rather than the hot water. Sheesh again. Do you think it will turn out? It's bottled now for about 2-3 days.

Hi all, this is my first post, I would really love some advise or info. I recently moved from kits to extract brewing and planning to start all grain soon.
1) I pitched my yeast at 32 degrees C or 90 F, as I misread my new thermometer. Sheesh. I shouldn't have rushed. I pulled the wort chiller out to soon. It fermented normally though, and is in carboy now. Should I still try to bottle? Or could the batch be toast? It's a German Black ale with oak chips.
2) Also, on another kit beer, a cream ale, I got preoccupied and dumped the priming corn sugar directly into the bottling bucket, it foamed like crazy, I'm not sure why? I bottled it anyway after it settled down and I gave it a stir. I even had boiled the water, but I dumped the sugar in the beer rather than the hot water. Sheesh again. Do you think it will turn out? It's bottled now for about 2-3 days.

1. You might have some off flavors, but it will still be beer. I'd go ahead and bottle it and see what you get. Look up Revvy's "Never Dump" thread. That situation revolved around accidentally high fermentation temperature and it eventually turned out.

2. I'd put them in a Rubbermaid container ASAP. The sugar concentration may be uneven, leaving you with some flat beers and some bottle bombs. Leave them in a covered Rubbermaid container for a few weeks and see what you get.

Both will be ok. The German black ale might be a bit phenolic from the high temp but that isn't a hard and fast rule. Bottle it up and let it age a bit.

The priming sugar/cream ale thing was because of the sugar acting as nucleation sites for the co2 to come out of solution. It should also be fine but you might want to keep the bottles in boxes in case your sugar didn't get mixed well.

1) Well, this is batch could go either way. I'm surprised the high temp didn't kill the yeast outright. If you got the temp down to the normal range quickly enough, then, it might be fine. If you let it sit at 90 and let it cool without any help, it's probably horrible. I personally would take a taste now before bottling and see how it is. That'll be a good indicator. If it's at least passable, then bottle it for sure and just give it time in the bottle before you drink. If it's awful, it's up to you what you want to do. There is a whole thread on this site filled with stories proving that even the most awful beer can mellow into something great with time... The amount of time required may just be more than a year, and it's no guarantee. I suppose I would bottle and stuff it in a corner, but I would be tempted to toss it. Anyway, give it a taste. It may be just fine.

2) The only thing of concern here is that the unboiled priming sugar may have carried some bugs with it. But there are fairly decent odds that, if it did bring something with it, the yeast and alcohol will fight it off. There is also a chance you'll end up with an infection, but even that may not ruin your beer. Give it a couple of weeks and see where it's at.

Thank you everyone for the fast responses!

1) I got it down to 27C or 80F within about 8-12 hours, after that it was a slow cool as I had trouble getting it down further without the wort chiller.
I'll taste before bottling then make the executive decision. It was in the primary for 4 days, how long should I leave in secondary, should I give it extra time or the normal 2 weeks I usually do?

2) Thanks for the rubber maid advise idea. I definitely stirred it very well, possibly even too much that I'm a little worried about aeration? Then again I was also worried about making the sugar dissolved with a much more vigorous that normal stir. So the sugar hitting the wort and the nucleation doesn't cause a problem with carbonation?

Thank you everyone for the fast responses!

1) I got it down to 27C or 80F within about 8-12 hours, after that it was a slow cool as I had trouble getting it down further without the wort chiller.
I'll taste before bottling then make the executive decision. It was in the primary for 4 days, how long should I leave in secondary, should I give it extra time or the normal 2 weeks I usually do?

2) Thanks for the rubber maid advise idea. I definitely stirred it very well, possibly even too much that I'm a little worried about aeration? Then again I was also worried about making the sugar dissolved with a much more vigorous that normal stir. So the sugar hitting the wort and the nucleation doesn't cause a problem with carbonation?

Nope, the co2 that came out of solution was minimal and the sugar will create more co2 for the beer to be fizzy. I would primary only the first beer and keep it there for 2 weeks or until stable final gravity is reached, whichever takes longest. That is just me though.

Back