2 oz pure vanilla Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBDrinker008

Reaction score
Is 2 oz or pure vanilla extract too much to add to the secondary of a 5 gallon batch?

I am shooting for a raspberry vanilla stout. I think I went overboard with spices on my pumpkin ale and don't want to do the same thing with this.

The base is a sweet stout kit from Northern Brewer that I added an extra 1/2 lb of DME that I had laying around, and I plan on racking onto just over 2lbs of raspberries (3- 12 oz bags)

Sounds like a good dessert beer. Is that 2fl oz or 2oz in weight? You could just add half, let it mature for a week, take a sample and taste. If you like the flavor leave it, if you want more put the rest in.

I added the vanilla to the bottling bucket at bottling time. about 2oz, probably fluid oz.

Worked great. What I did was put in 1oz, taste, put in another 1/2 taste and so on until it was right.

I used about 1.5oz in an oatmeal stout and turned out fantastic. The "heavier" the beer, the more I would use. But I would think 2 oz would be tops.

I made a caramel vanilla creme ale with pure vanilla extract. The recipe called for 4 oz., but I thought it sounded like too much, so I just used 2 oz. in the secondary. It turned out to be a nice subtle vanilla. Definitely not over powering. (this was a 5 gal. batch)

Cheese's original CCA recipe called for 2 oz boiled and 4 oz in the bottling bucket. I went by the recipe and didn't think it was too overpowering, plus the vanilla will fade over time so if you think it's too much, just let it age.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I used ~1.5 oz in the secondary I figured I can add more at bottling if necessary. After overdoing it on the spices for my pumpkin ale I don't want to overdo this. I think the spices will fade over time though. I can always add more but can't take any out.

BTW: I would suggest using the Oregon Preserves raspberries instead of frozen/fresh fruit. The stout I did with frozen came out a little bitter, but the rasp. wheat with the Oregon preserves came out a little sweeter in flavor, which I prefer. Jamil gives the same advice in his podcast on fruit beers

preserves > fresh fruit > fruit extracts

Latest posts

Back