2 Mash, 3 Beer Brew Day Plans: Saison, Roggenbier, Rye PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike4Rye

Reaction score
So I'm looking for some thoughts on a brew day I'm trying to plan. I don't get the chance to brew regularly, so I tend to do it in spurts. I'm thinking of doing two mashes and mixing the worts in different proportions to make 3 different beers.

Wort A:
50% Rye
50% Munich or Vienna
Double or Triple decoction
aim for mash out at 1.040
should be around 5 gallons 2 quarts 1 pint

Wort B:
100% Pilsner
Single Infusion at 148 F
aim for mash out at 1.040
should be around 3 gallons
-----------------------------------------

Saison
Boil down to 1 gallon in fermenter

25% wort A - 15 points of sugar - 0 gallon 1 quart 1 pint
75% wort B - 45 points of sugar - 1 gallon 0 quart 1 pint
~ 1 lb sugar or a little honey - 6 points

OG 1.066
FG 1.013?

Grist Percentages
Pilsner 66.67%
Rye 11.36%
Munich 11.36%
Sugar 9.09%

Wyeast French Saison - WY3711

Roggenbier
Boil then top off if necessary to 3 gallons in fermenter

100% Wort A - 135 points - 3 gallon 1 quart 1 pint

OG 1.045
FG 1.011?

Grist Percentages
Rye 50%
Munich 50%

15 IBU with a single bittering hop addition and no flavor or aroma hops

Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen - WY3068

Fermenting on the cooler side to bring out the clove esters and suppress the banana esters

Rye Session Pale Ale
Boil as if it were an extract recipe and top off to 5 gallons in fermenter

50% Wort A - 75 points - 1 gallon 3 quart 1 pint
50% Wort B - 75 points - 1 gallon 3 quart 1 pint

OG 1.030
FG 1.007?

Pilsner 50%
Rye 25%
Munich 25%

So my grain totals are:
120 points worth of Pilsner malt - 4.57 lbs at 75% efficiency assuming 35 points per pound at 100%
112.5 points worth of Rye malt - 4.29 pounds at 75% efficiency assuming 35 points per pound at 100%
112.5 points worth of Munich/Vienna malt - 4.29 pounds at 75% efficiency assuming 35 points per pound at 100%

For the saison, I'm not sure what hops I could use to give it an interesting flavor and aroma profile. I'm looking for something on the low side for IBU's for the style at 20-25. I've only ever used noble hops, so I have no idea what amazing flavors I could get using some of the other varieties of hops for flavor or aroma.

For the session beer I'm worried about going overboard. I don't want to be heavy handed with the hops. I'm looking for a crisp bitterness but nothing blistering. Given the low OG of the beer I'm just not sure how many IBU's I should aim for, or what type of hop flavors I should try to add since there probably won't be that much malt flavor in the beer. I'm also debating whether I want to pick a yeast that is neutral or one with an interesting flavor profile.

Back