2 Lagers 1 Yeast Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadYetiBrew

Reaction score
Ok, So i have an Oktoberfest and a Bock ready to brew sometime and to save money (of course) i grabbed 1 bavarian yeast pack. Now I was thinking Make a starter and pour half into the oktoberfest then kick up the starter with a little more DME and pitch into the Bock.

This to me seems like way to much work when I can just brew the oktoberfest pitching a starter with all the yeast into it. Then pitch the Bock onto the O-fest's Yeast Cake (the bock being bigger grav would benefit from the bigger start of the O-fest).

Anyway, was just brainstorming this. I think i'll just go with pitching on top of the cake.

Or you can split the yeast into two starters... Then you'd be able to have the Oktoberfest fermenting at the same time as the Bock...

Either way $$ is saved and you will get quick starts-using the cake is super easy and FAST

Splitting the yeast will allow leeway in when you brew each batch and can give a "cleaner" taste as the residual flavors in the last batch are not present in a fresh starter

Happy brewing!

TimBrewz said:
Either way $$ is saved and you will get quick starts-using the cake is super easy and FAST

Splitting the yeast will allow leeway in when you brew each batch and can give a "cleaner" taste as the residual flavors in the last batch are not present in a fresh starter

Happy brewing!

I was contemplating that too, the residual flavors from the O-fest carrying over. The interesting thing is that a majority of the malts are the same and the same with the hops, that's what led me to just pitching on the cake.... Though having them primary and lagering at the same time is appealing...... hmmm

You'd be fine doing that, pitch on top of the 'fest. I'd do it after racking to secondary, when the yeast isn't too tired. Or, as I usually do, split the same yeast pack into 2 batches, both worked up from several starters.

Back