2 Kegs and a Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWBC

Reaction score
I have 2 kegs and a SS 15 gal kettle to use for my HERMS brew setup. Does anyone have any recommendations for which tank I should use the kettle for? My current thought is to use the kettle for the Mash and the kegs for the HLT/BK. IThe kettle has a larger diameter (17 3/4"). My thinking is that the kettle will be easier to clean than the kegs, I don't need a hinged false bottom,and I would also have a slightly thinner grain bed. Does anyone have any other pros/cons worth noting?
Thanks!

You'll probably boil off more/better in the larger diameter kettle. So, I'd make that the BK. I use a keg for my mash tun and love it. NorCal false bottom makes it damned easy too.

If you are putting a HERMS coil in your HLT I would use the 15 gal kettle for that. I have a Keggle for mine and it is a pain in the ass to work on.

Not to hi-jack this thread (which I just may have done) but I have a similar question regarding keg vs. kettle usage. I have two kegs and a 25 gal kettle. Any suggestions on the best use of the larger kettle? ...HLT? boil kettle? and logic behind suggestions. Sorry if this is not the correct post to ask this question.

@rodduley
In your case I would use the 25 gal as you BK. I have all keggles and with a 10 gal batch and a 90 min boil I am pushing the limit of the keggle.

I forgot to mentionI was planning on doing a HERMs system also. The kettle measures 17 1/2" diameter and is about 27 1/2" tall.
Golddiggie indicates "You'll probably boil off more/better in the larger diameter kettle. So, I'd make that the BK". this vessel is not larger in diameter.
MCL states "If you are putting a HERMS coil in your HLT I would use the 15 gal kettle for that. I have a Keggle for mine and it is a pain in the ass to work on". Still use the larger kettle for the BK?

rodduley, my post was in response to the OP, where his/her kettle diameter IS larger than a keggle. Also, chances are, the opening for just about any keggle is less than that of your kettle. Keggles are 15" diameter (inside). So, 17.5" diameter IS 2.5" larger...

Latest posts

Back