2 Kegs 1 Regulator - Dumb Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NedStackey

Reaction score
Hey,

I feel like this may be a dumb question but I'm going to ask any way.

I currently have a 2 faucet set up.

- 1 c02 tank
- 1 regulator
- 2 kegs.

I currently have one batch which is about half way gone from keg 1 and this weekend I'll be getting my recent batch kegged. How do I force carb the new batch and still enjoy the beer which is already in my other keg? Is this possible with my current set up? Last time I just turned off the gas line for the keg 1 waited a few days and then when the 2nd was ready just put both at around 9 psi for serving pressure.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Long term solution, get one of these. It has a check valve so you don't have to worry about flavors from one beer getting into the other which can happen with a T (which is the cheapest solution:

http://www.eckraus.com/co2-manifold...7cDF_d_MN120&gclid=CO_foeaO87cCFcN_QgodwGgA_w

Shop around, this is the first link I could find. You may be able to save a couple bucks.

edit: There are no dumb questions except the ones that don't get asked!

Long term solution, get one of these. It has a check valve so you don't have to worry about flavors from one beer getting into the other which can happen with a T (which is the cheapest solution:

http://www.eckraus.com/co2-manifold...7cDF_d_MN120&gclid=CO_foeaO87cCFcN_QgodwGgA_w

Shop around, this is the first link I could find. You may be able to save a couple bucks.

edit: There are no dumb questions except the ones that don't get asked!

I'm with jbaysurfer about the dumb questions.
However I haven't had a ton of success with the checks in those valves. I've had numerous leaks back through them, I just usually swing the valves to the kegs I'm using closed while I force carb another keg. If the CO2 in the kegs I'm currently using falls off enough that it wont disperse beer out my taps I'll just crack the CO2 valve open to that keg and let a little gas in to pressure it back up.
Anyway, Cheers good luck.

I'm with jbaysurfer about the dumb questions.
However I haven't had a ton of success with the checks in those valves. I've had numerous leaks back through them, I just usually swing the valves to the kegs I'm using closed while I force carb another keg. If the CO2 in the kegs I'm currently using falls off enough that it wont disperse beer out my taps I'll just crack the CO2 valve open to that keg and let a little gas in to pressure it back up.
Anyway, Cheers good luck.

Wow...I've never had that happen. Both of them do that for you? Maybe a defective batch of check valves? Like all homebrewing, it's about problem solving, and looks like you've done a good job of that. :mug:

The regulator I have has a shut off valve for each gas line though, wouldn't this act as the same way?

Here's a link to the exact regulator I have: http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/regulator/twoproduct/commercial_double_gauge_co2_regulator_air_splitter.shtml

If I turn off the first gas line I would still be able to pour for a while but wouldn't the c02 run out and I would need to recharge the first keg?

There are no dumb questions except the ones that don't get asked!

Thanks haha. There are a lot of forums I've been on before and people can get snippy some times which can be very irritating. I always try to do as much research as I can before asking but some times you just need to go to the people with experience.

Thanks

I've got a two tap set up and bought one of these from Birdman, one of the sites vendors. Works like a charm.

That's a 3/8" barb. I couldn't fit my 1/4" ID line on that thing without a truckload of effort. I'd recommend OP pay attention to his gas line diameter and only size up one size from it to the barbs. IE, if it's 1/4" ID, get 5/16 barbs.

You can just get a metal splitter T and some more line. I would also get quick diconnects with a one way valve so no liquid flows backwards which can happen.

Simple solution is to just keep drinking the keg that is carbed already and then top it off with some gas after you have pulled a couple beers and/or every time just to ensure the carbonation level stays the same. It requires a little work to have to keep switching fittings but you won't have to spend any money.

The regulator I have has a shut off valve for each gas line though, wouldn't this act as the same way?

Here's a link to the exact regulator I have: http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/regulator/twoproduct/commercial_double_gauge_co2_regulator_air_splitter.shtml

If I turn off the first gas line I would still be able to pour for a while but wouldn't the c02 run out and I would need to recharge the first keg?

Thanks haha. There are a lot of forums I've been on before and people can get snippy some times which can be very irritating. I always try to do as much research as I can before asking but some times you just need to go to the people with experience.

Thanks

Oh...then maybe I'm not understanding your question. Just run a line from the 2nd shutoff valve to a second gas in fitting and you're good to go to charge two at once.

Edit: you can charge two at once with that regulator, just leaving both check valves open. Those are check valves you have. Simple as a couple feet of gas line and another gas in (white/gray) ball lock fitting.

I just usually swing the valves to the kegs I'm using closed while I force carb another keg. If the CO2 in the kegs I'm currently using falls off enough that it wont disperse beer out my taps I'll just crack the CO2 valve open to that keg and let a little gas in to pressure it back up.

Cool, this is pretty much what I was going to do but this is only my 3rd batch kegging so I'm still very new to the whole process. I didn't know if there was anything more "elegant" but home brewing isn't always supposed to be elegant right? haha :mug:

Oh...then maybe I'm not understanding your question. Just run a line from the 2nd shutoff valve to a second gas in fitting and you're good to go to charge two at once.

Yeah, I was just over thinking it haha. A lot of great stuff here though and I only had to do a small face palm

:eek:

Edit: you can charge two at once with that regulator, just leaving both check valves open. Those are check valves you have. Simple as a couple feet of gas line and another gas in (white/gray) ball lock fitting.

Actually I don't think those do have check valves - the description doesn't mention them. The valves you control shut off the flow of gas, check valves are inside and prevent back flow toward the regulator when the shut off valves are open. I invested in this after I ruined my first regulator due to backflow from an over full keg (it actually had a check valve but it was crap). These ones are good quality. With 7 kegs in the main keezer I don't want to mess with turning valves on and off.
:mug:

Latest posts

Back