2 different hops for dry hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allentwnguy

Reaction score
If you use two different hops to dry hop is there any advantage to dry hopping separately? I usually just put the two together and suspend them in the corny for 4 days.... done. Say I'm using Centennial and Chinook. I realize that using more of one will bring that particular aroma forward. But if I used the same amount and dry hopped with Centennial first for 5 days then with Chinook for 5 days would the pine.grapefruit of the Chinook be more forward than the floral/citrus of Centennial?

it's a good question... I have read more and more about people racking off of one dry hop and dry hopping with another combo. I'm sure it does something but I'm not sure; will be interesting to see what others say.

While the great minds of HBT are working on this one, they may as well explain why it makes sense to double dry hop with the same hops. Say, 4 days with 2 oz each of Citra and Amarillo, then remove them and repeat with 2 oz each of Citra and Amarillo for another 4 days.

Is that somehow different than just using 4 oz each for 4 to 8 days?

Thanks for the link Jimboj.

What I’ve gleaned from reading…

Leaving hops in for extended periods of time can give a grassiness to the beer… I have never left dry hops in for more than 7 days and after the first few times 5 days became my maximum, feeling that I got the most out of the hops by then.

“As far as I understand, leaving hops in for a short time gives aroma, a medium time gives fruit and a long time gives vegetal/grass flavours.” Said one post

Brewers wanting a big fresh hop aroma are “stack” dry hopping by replacing the hops with a fresh batch of hops after a certain set dry hop time.
One guy did an IPA with Rye and did a test with two dry hop schedules:
1. 1.5 ounces of hops for 4 days, 1.5 ounces of hops for 4 days
2. 3 ounces of hops for 4 days.
He found dry hop test 1 to be significantly more aromatic.

The initial query was because I just did a double IPA coming in a 1.084 with a ton of bitterness (97 ibu) and there is always a lack of hop aroma without dry hopping. With this big of a beer I wanted to punch up the hop aroma. Bottom line I’m giving this a try. The beer is kegged with 2 oz of hops now for 5 days and after that I’m pulling and replacing with another 2oz. Let’s see…

Latest posts

Back