2 cider questions, im a noob.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooner

Reaction score
No.1. Can I boil store brought apple juice (pasteurise) before adding to my
Fermenter, or is there no need?

No.2. How much lactose do I need to use to make a sweet cider?

No 1. You can but probably do not have to. Read the labels. If it's pasteurized then no need. Also pay attention to what else is in it. Generally preservatives are bad.

No 2. This is a bit harder to answer. I would suggest finding and following a recipe like Edwort's Apfelwein.

Hope this helps.

If it's store bought, I'd say there's a 99% chance it's been pasteurized. Here in Georgia even the apple orchards flash pasteurize the juice before selling it. I've always assumed it was a state or federal law. (but I would be wrong)

Even it it's not pasteurized, if it's in a shelf-stable, sealed container, it's probably free of wild bugs. Otherwise it would ferment in the container.

Lactose will add body to your cider and some residual sweetness, but I wouldn't count on it back sweetening to high gravity levels. If you are looking for a non-fermentable sweetener, stevia or an artificial type will be your best bet.

1. No need.

2. As much or as little as you want. By increasing the amount of sugar, you will increase the ABV (as it will ferment out). Use your hydrometer to get an idea of where your juice is and where it will end up. Add Sugar accordingly. I personally prefer 6-9% ABV.

1. No need, but use juice that has a little preservatives as possible; the only addition I allow for my juice that I buy is ascorbic acid. NO potassium sorbate; you can usually overcome it, but it is a real pain in the butt.

2. My suggestion is to fortify your cider with brown sugar or honey for fermentation; it adds complexity to the flavor and you can vary your level of ABV. Then do tastings as it ferments and the SG lowers; once you have something you think is to your liking, cold crash it in a refrigerator for a few days, then taste it again. Doing this in gallon batches will help you find your sweet spot.

Back