2 Caboys, 2 Different Fermentations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerloin

Reaction score
Hey all - I have 2 different carboys that I use for fermenting and I visibly see two completely different fermentations "cycles"- let me explain - - -

In Carboy 1 - the krausen becomes very milky and bubbly. It stays that way for the whole 2-3 weeks of fermentation. The defining factor of this carboy is the thick, milky, always constant leftover krausen that sits on top (think 3 inches for 2-3 weeks!!!) I usually wait for ALL of the foamy/milky bubbles to go away before i bottle

in carboy 2 - the krausen looks pretty standard - active for 2-3 days - nice layer of foam/bubbles for 2-3 days - bubbles and krausen drops out and looks ready to bottle not shortly after. (i still wait the 2-3 weeks anyways, cuz im a patient guy =-))

i know that bubbles don't indicate fermentation completeness - but whenever I use that one carboy, it stays on top for much longer (and looks completely different). I always think about posting a "is this an infection" thread, but I don't (cuz the beer always tastes fine)...

Has anyone else had a similar experience where 2 different carboys (using the same yeast, s-04) ALWAYS looks different from another?

. . . . Has anyone else had a similar experience where 2 different carboys (using the same yeast, s-04) ALWAYS looks different from another?

I don't pay that close attention to it.;)

Not all fermentations are the same, even with the same ingredients and sitting side by side. There are factors too numerous to track that affect fermentation and some of those factors are completely out of our control.

This is a classic case that shows that, obviously there is some difference in the carboys, size, shape, etc that has some effect on the yeast, or maybe you set one carboy on the left always and one always on the right? Maybe one is always closer to some unknown heat source? maybe one is always closer to some unseen vibration?

That being said, brew on my friend:mug:

Back