2.5gal batch in 5 gal keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
A quick and possibly silly question. Is it ok to condition and carb 2.5 gallon batches in 5
Gallon kegs? I want to make more variety of batches but less volume and can't afford new kegs. I'm guessing as long as all the oxygen is removed then it should be ok?

Cheers

As long as you purge the O2 from the keg before transferring the beer, you'll be fine. Pressure it up just as you would with a full keg, and it will carb just fine.

I do this all the time with 4 gallon batches. Like others said, just purge all the 02 out of the keg before you let it sit to carb.

It works fine, but one warning. If you normally shake the keg to carb, stop way short of what you usually do. The increased surface area let CO2 absorb faster. It's super easy to over-carb that way. If you do the set it and forget it method, you don't have to worry about anything.

Would this work for naturally carbonating a batch (just needing more sugar than normal)?

(ex carbing a 2.5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon keg?)

Back