2.5 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmekon

Reaction score
I want to split a 5 gallon batch into two 2.5 gallon batches in primary, and then re-unite them in secondary. Do you think I would have any oxidation problems from putting 2.5 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket, or will the CO2 barrier keep it safe?

Thanks!

My understanding is that headspace isn't much of an issue during primary because of all of the CO2 being driven off and the protective "blanket" it provides above the krausen. You might have oxidation issues w/ a half full secondary fermenter, but I think you're plan sounds fine.

I often do my 2.5-3 gallon batches during primary in a 5 gallon betterbottle, and haven't had an issue, carrotmalt is right. During primary there is plenty of co2 in the headspace. Secondary is different though.

Yeah, you're golden when your in the primary stage... just be careful when you put it in a secondary that you dont have that much headspace. I've done just this same thing a few times.. no problems yet. :)

Not to hijack the thread, but if you rack onto fruit in a secondary will you have enough CO2 in the headspace to prevent significant oxidation?

I'm going to say yes, as my last brew was an IPA racked onto about 8lbs of oranges, cherries, mango and cranberries. It came out wonderfully weird. No oxidation problems from what I and others that have tried it have been able to detect.

I was curious about this same thing and after some searching came across this thread. I was able to get some 5 gallon buckets from a bakery and was wanting to split a 5 gallon batch into two to have some variation without doing two full batches. You guys mention having the headspace in the secondary as being a problem. I was considering leaving them in buckets and not moving them into a secondary vessel. Does anyone see any issues with this? I am thinking I'll have them in the buckets for a month give or take a week. I am especially curious because making a hefeweizen next and I am considering adding fruit to one of the buckets. Also when talking to the LHBS they suggested pitching a packet/vial of yeast for each bucket.

Sorry if I'm hijacking, it seemed like this might belong with this thread though.

Back