2.5 gallon kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeyman1000

Reaction score
Just putting this out there in case a home-brew supply company wanders by. I'd be interested in 2.5 gallon all grain or extract kits if reasonably priced. I move every 3-6 months for work and there isn't always a LHBS in the area or the one that is there isn't very good or overpriced ( that is the case where I am now ). I have 2 2.5 gallon kegs ( don't want to split a 5 gallon kit - too much of the same beer and less opportunity to brew ). Would anybody else go for that size kit?

Buy a 5 gallon kit. Buy some extra steeping grains. Use only half the extract, grains and hops on one brew. Next brew, add the other steeping grains you bought instead, and vary the hop schedule.

For example: buy an extract IPA kit and a bit of chocolate malt and roasted barley. Cut everything in half and brew the IPA, except maybe add a little more to the dry hops or a hopstand or something. Then for your next brew, ditch the second half of the kit's steeping grains(or keep them, depending on what they are), and add the chocolate malt and roasted barley, and you have a stout!

I do this with AG by splitting my mash in two. The link in my sig explains more. I don't move that much, but I don't want all the same beer all the time either!

No need for a kit - just find a recipe in the recipe section of HBT or elsewhere, split it in half, and order it from any of the online retailers. I did 1/2 batches for a long time, and they work great.

+1^ @JonM

I went kitless after my first kit.
But we are fortunate to have 2 excellent LHBSs within 1/2 hour drive. Plus I keep a decent assortment of grain, hops and yeast on hand to brew anytime I want, which could be at 3am.

Those are good suggestions, thanks. I normally put my own ingredients together using recipes on here. The problem with ordering ingredients on line is that you usually have to order everything by the pound. That means that by the time I move again I have to throw out grains ( not much room in the Hyundai for my stuff and the wife's stuff. I am lucky to be brewing and kegging at all ). I think splitting an extract kit would be a possibility although I prefer all grain. I don't think I could split an all grain kit and get equal amounts of everything in each batch. I attached some pictures of the Hyundai. Believe it or not there is a 6 gallon kettle, 5 gallon keg (primary fermentor) and 2 2.5 gallon kegs. I naturally prime then use paintball tank to push the beer. One keg at a time in the fridge.

WP_20150821_001.jpg

WP_20150821_002.jpg

WP_20150821_003.jpg

Time for SMASH beers! You can make so much variety with SMASHes and order by the whole pound so there's no waste.

An all-Vienna pale ale with Centennial? An altbier with all Munich, a Patersbier with all Pilsner, a Pilsner with all Pilsner, an IPA with all Golden Promise, an all-extract wheat with wheat LME, heck - I made a barley wine with all Maris otter (boiled it for 3.5 hours for a deep Amber red color).

Kits are great to get the process down and to become familiar with your equipment. I did about 3 kits then moved to online recipes. Slowly i started making my own after experimenting with SMASH recipes and making hop teas. That's the thing about brewing; it's easy to do, but extremely difficult to master.

Thanks for the replies. I think the SMASH idea is the solution for me. Don't know why I didn't think of that. "I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things." Cheers :mug:

Those are good suggestions, thanks. I normally put my own ingredients together using recipes on here. The problem with ordering ingredients on line is that you usually have to order everything by the pound. That means that by the time I move again I have to throw out grains ( not much room in the Hyundai for my stuff and the wife's stuff. I am lucky to be brewing and kegging at all ). I think splitting an extract kit would be a possibility although I prefer all grain. I don't think I could split an all grain kit and get equal amounts of everything in each batch. I attached some pictures of the Hyundai. Believe it or not there is a 6 gallon kettle, 5 gallon keg (primary fermentor) and 2 2.5 gallon kegs. I naturally prime then use paintball tank to push the beer. One keg at a time in the fridge.

Check the pipeline diversity link in my sig. That's how I split AG batches. It's not too hard to do.

Dude, find some work that doesn't include moving all the time so you can accumulate 2-3 tractor trailer loads of crap like most Americans do. On second thought, the Mrs looks happy in the pix, so just keep on truckin' and travel light. Cheers! :mug:

Just putting this out there in case a home-brew supply company wanders by. I'd be interested in 2.5 gallon all grain or extract kits if reasonably priced. I move every 3-6 months for work and there isn't always a LHBS in the area or the one that is there isn't very good or overpriced ( that is the case where I am now ). I have 2 2.5 gallon kegs ( don't want to split a 5 gallon kit - too much of the same beer and less opportunity to brew ). Would anybody else go for that size kit?

I would have liked this option when I was starting out. 5G size kits were more than i wanted to make so I bought 1G kits. They were nice but you only get 8-10 bottles. I would have bought 2.5 gal kits if available. I have now started using all grain recipes on here scaled down to 2 gal with some help from a friend who brews.

I would have liked this option when I was starting out. 5G size kits were more than i wanted to make so I bought 1G kits. They were nice but you only get 8-10 bottles. I would have bought 2.5 gal kits if available. I have now started using all grain recipes on here scaled down to 2 gal with some help from a friend who brews.

When your friend is busy, just download brewtarget and scale with that. It's super easy.

Latest posts

Back