2.5 gallon kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gasturbine

Reaction score
Does anyone make 2.5 gallon kits/recipes besides Mr. Beer? I know I can make small batches in 6 gallon buckets, but 3 gallon would be easier to handle for my space.

just remeasure a 5 gallon kit and use 1/2 and brew twice.

at that size its completely scalable without worrying about hop utilization or anything.

Does anyone make 2.5 gallon kits/recipes besides Mr. Beer? I know I can make small batches in 6 gallon buckets, but 3 gallon would be easier to handle for my space.

I've never found a kit specifically designed to brew 2.5 gallons. However, I simply take a 5G kit and use half. The other half I can brew later, or make add some different stepping grains to make a similar, yet slightly different brew. It allows me to be a bit creative with my beers, yet stay within reasonable limits - which is good for me at a beginner level.

Or.....Stop buying kits, and just look at some of the great recipes on here, and cut the amounts in half. If you don't have an lhbs that you can take your recipes to get filled, places like Rebel brewer etc let you imput a recipe and they'll send you the grains. The only difference between a kit and a recipe, is the kit comes all boxed up....

Revvy said:
Or.....Stop buying kits, and just look at some of the great recipes on here, and cut the amounts in half. If you don't have an lhbs that you can take your recipes to get filled, places like Rebel brewer etc let you imput a recipe and they'll send you the grains. The only difference between a kit and a recipe, is the kit comes all boxed up....

+1 I just bottled my first batch last weekend, a 2.5gal recipe scaled back from a simple 5 gal extract recipe i found here on HBT. i went to my LHBS and $17 later i was all set. I don't want to feel boxed in by a kit, i like buying the ingredients separate. To each their own, like most things homebrewing. You have several options, do what works best for your situation.

I brew test batches in my Mr. Beer keg. I've done tons of AG's and just split the recipes in half and fill to the top of the letter 'Q' on the side. It's great to work with, easy to clean and fits in my ice chest to keep at whatever temperature I want.
But, it takes me almost the same amount of time to due a full 5 gallons so I haven't used it in awhile. I just tell my LHBS guru what I want and he puts it together for me.

Not that Revvy needs my endorsement, but he is right 100%. You will make your own beer because you can modify the recipes and it will be cheaper. I also discovered what different hops taste like and now brew with the ones that fit my taste buds. I bet you will find this more fun than doing kits.

Yep just grab a recipe and go into your LHBS or Rebel Brewer( didn't know they do that, kinda cool) and have them fill it. My local place you hand them the recipe they get everything for you then box it up for you like it is a kit, they even double milled it for me since I am BIAB AG brewing.
For a 1.5 gal recipe AG it cost me $10.29 for ingredient, including yeast, it would have been like 6 bucks had I not had to buy yeast. Of course I didn't walk out of there for that little, I found a bunch of stuff I don't need while I was waiting on the grain to be milled( all of one minute) :)

Anyone ever used the entire true brew 5gal IPA kit in a Mr.Beer 2.5gal fermenter? I'm very curious to see how it would come out.

Back