2.5 gallon batch yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajstrider

Reaction score
I am pondering the idea of doing smaller batches of beer so I can experiment a bit. I realize nearly everything is setup for five gallon batches but ingredients can be had in smaller quantities, except for yeast. Do you still pitch a whole little packet or vial of yeast even for a half batch?

You'd not want to pitch the whole amount of yeast. It would likely be a gross over pitch which can cause undesirable flavors.

When I make smaller batches like that I make 2 and split the yeast in half.

You'd not want to pitch the whole amount of yeast. It would likely be a gross over pitch which can cause undesirable flavors.

What kind of undesirable flavors might that produce? I've pitched a whole packet of rehydrated yeast in a 2.5 gallon batch before and did not notice any off or undesirable flavors. I think I've only done that once or twice, but I'm looking real hard at doing only 2.5 gallon batches right now and (1) I don't want to have any off flavors or undesirable flavors and (2) I don't want to waste yeast! It's not that cheap. I've considered harvesting it, but I don't have the time to do that right now.

I'm not sure what the off-flavors might be like. But I'd think that using twice as much yeast as necessary would likely do so.

And I only know of the off-flavor issues with under/over pitching because it's been mentioned often enough by others.

I have used harvested yeast, and because I saved it in repurposed jars, didn't know exactly how much yeast I was starting with. I would merely make a 1 qt starter using 1/4 lb of DME and call it good. It easily could have been a little under or over the "required" amount, but I'd think it would take a good bit either way for it to be bad.

With your smaller batch and a full pitch were the beers of a higher gravity? If so that would help offset the over pitch.

No, it wasn't a high gravity beer. The last batch I made was a pale wheat with OG 1047. I just pitched the whole packet of US-05. It's still in the primary right now. I plan to leave it there for a total of three weeks and then rack to a keg. I recently bought a scale that measures grams, so it may be best for me to start halving the yeast packets. That'll save some money too, obviously. I'll have do some more searching of the forums for overpitching. I haven't checked before.

When I make smaller batches like that I make 2 and split the yeast in half.

I'm not sure what the off-flavors might be like. But I'd think that using twice as much yeast as necessary would likely do so.

And I only know of the off-flavor issues with under/over pitching because it's been mentioned often enough by others.

I have used harvested yeast, and because I saved it in repurposed jars, didn't know exactly how much yeast I was starting with. I would merely make a 1 qt starter using 1/4 lb of DME and call it good. It easily could have been a little under or over the "required" amount, but I'd think it would take a good bit either way for it to be bad.

With your smaller batch and a full pitch were the beers of a higher gravity? If so that would help offset the over pitch.

I think the most important thing that's missing from this is the OG of the beer. Without knowing that variable, it's almost impossible to say whether there is an overpitch or underpitch. Also, it's a lot harder to overpitch (to the point of causing off flavors) at a homebrew level than many believe. It is, however, very easy to underpitch.

Most will say one vial is good for a 5 gallon batch of wort with an OG of 1.060 or less. Personally, I will do a starter regardless of the size or gravity of my wort, just to ensure the yeast is active, healthy, and ready to get to work. If I'm making a small batch of low gravity wort, then I'll adjust my starter size accordingly, making a small, low gravity starter.

"...OG 1047."

"...just to ensure the yeast is active, healthy, and ready to get to work."

Me too.

Interesting stuff for me to think about guys, thanks. I have pretty much just used dry yeast that I redhydrate so far. I will have to research these starters and such.

Interesting stuff for me to think about guys, thanks. I have pretty much just used dry yeast that I redhydrate so far. I will have to research these starters and such.

Starters are for liquid yeast. If you're pitching a pack of rehydrated dry yeast into a 2.5 gallon batch, depending on OG, you'll probably be pitching more than you need, but I doubt you'll pitch enough to cause off flavors.

How much of an over pitch does it take to create off flavors? I would have thought double pitching would likely put you in that realm.

I often do 2.5-3 gallon batches and have pitched full packets of dry yeast, or single smack packs of Wyeast.

When I use dry yeast, I tend to be making beers where yeast driven-esters are not necessarily desirable (e.g., porters, IPA, etc.) and typically use US-05. I have not had a problem with off flavors. For these types of beers, I am not afraid of an overpitch (at least to the extent that a single packet of dry yeast is overpitching). I also always rehydrate.

If I were making a beer where esters are desirable, then I would be more wary of overpitching (e.g., English style bitters, Belgians, saisons).

I have made several 2.5 gallon batches of saison pitching a single smack pack of yeast without a starter with great results (typically OG of around 1.050). Mind you, this is not the best practice and I realize is risky, but it makes great beer.

How much of an over pitch does it take to create off flavors? I would have thought double pitching would likely put you in that realm.

Couldn't tell you exactly, but what has led you to believe that "double pitching" would lead to off flavors? I've never seen that.

It's true, there are styles where esters that are produced by some amount of stress on the yeast are desirable, so in that sense, it's possible to overpitch, but not to the point of creating off flavors.

When I use dry yeast, I tend to be making beers where yeast driven-esters are not necessarily desirable (e.g., porters, IPA, etc.) and typically use US-05. I have not had a problem with off flavors. For these types of beers, I am not afraid of an overpitch (at least to the extent that a single packet of dry yeast is overpitching). I also always rehydrate.

So maybe I'll be fine on the pale wheat that I made that I pitched a whole pack of US-05 into. Hopefully no off flavors. I always rehydrate as well.

My next batch will probably be LHB's Nitro Milk Stout clone. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/left-hand-milk-stout-clone-139820/
OG for this one is listed at 1065. Maybe I should pitch the whole pack for this one, rehydrated of course, but not for my next pale wheat?

So maybe I'll be fine on the pale wheat that I made that I pitched a whole pack of US-05 into. Hopefully no off flavors. I always rehydrate as well.

My next batch will probably be LHB's Nitro Milk Stout clone. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/left-hand-milk-stout-clone-139820/
OG for this one is listed at 1065. Maybe I should pitch the whole pack for this one, rehydrated of course, but not for my next pale wheat?

You definitely won't have off flavors from the amount of yeast you pitched. If you want the yeast to produce more esters, a slight underpitch is a good way to accomplish that.

"Couldn't tell you exactly, but what has led you to believe that "double pitching" would lead to off flavors? I've never seen that."

I've only read about over pitching (and under pitching) being a problem here. Nothing specific, but always a link to a yeast pitching calculator.

I've certainly slightly under pitched by using liquid yeast w/o a starter and had no issues. And I have no real way of knowing what my pitching rate has been when using slurry in repurposes jars with a 1 qt starter using 1/4 lb of DME. But I'd doubt it was half or double.

And so the idea of using twice the amount of yeast than recommended sounded to me like it was quite possible for off-flavors.

I use whole pacets of dry yeast or smack packs for my 3 Gallon brews. When I do 1 gallon brews I only use half a packet of dry yeast and save the rest for the next brew.

Back