2.5 Gal batch, Dry Yeast pitching - how much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfairious

Reaction score
So my dad wants to bottle more beer since the Keezer is at my house and he doesn't get as much beer from each batch because of that. :rockin:

So we have been brewing 2.5 gallon batches as of late to bottle instead of kegging. I am working on improving my bottling from a keg. Got a counter pressure set-up ready to try already. But still want to try some naturally carbonated bottling.
I usually find some nice sounding recipes that use the same dry yeast. We then brew up 2 different brews on the same day and I split (measure with a scale) the dry yeast in 2, rehydrate and pitch each half to the separate 2.5 gallon batches. Does everyone think I am pitching enough yeast? I went with 2.5 gal batches because you could split the 5 gal recipe easily and I figured you could do the same with the yeast.
So far we have done this twice (4 - 2.5 gallon batches). We are about to bottle the 1st pair on Monday. (We try to brew every other weekend). They seem to ferment fine. Airlocks bubbling away for 3 days before it slows to around a bubble a minute. I leave them for at least 14 days in the primary before bottling.
Everyone think this is a good plan?

So my dad wants to bottle more beer since the Keezer is at my house and he doesn't get as much beer from each batch because of that. :rockin:

So we have been brewing 2.5 gallon batches as of late to bottle instead of kegging. I am working on improving my bottling from a keg. Got a counter pressure set-up ready to try already. But still want to try some naturally carbonated bottling.
I usually find some nice sounding recipes that use the same dry yeast. We then brew up 2 different brews on the same day and I split (measure with a scale) the dry yeast in 2, rehydrate and pitch each half to the separate 2.5 gallon batches. Does everyone think I am pitching enough yeast? I went with 2.5 gal batches because you could split the 5 gal recipe easily and I figured you could do the same with the yeast.
So far we have done this twice (4 - 2.5 gallon batches). We are about to bottle the 1st pair on Monday. (We try to brew every other weekend). They seem to ferment fine. Airlocks bubbling away for 3 days before it slows to around a bubble a minute. I leave them for at least 14 days in the primary before bottling.
Everyone think this is a good plan?

I thought you had a good plan until you said you would wait 14 days before bottling. Yeast sometimes decides it wants more time than that. Use your hydrometer to make the decision on when to bottle, not the calendar. I often wait 3 to 4 or more weeks before I bottle. The extra time makes sure the yeast are done and more yeast settles out so I don't have so much in the bottom of the bottles.

I quite often split a packet of yeast since I mostly do 2 1/2 gallon batches. I don't weigh it though, I just estimate where half is. The amount of yeast isn't as critical as many here assume. Read this experiment write up, paying close attention to the amounts of yeast used and the results. http://sciencebrewer.com/2012/03/02/pitching-rate-experiment-part-deux-results/

Thanks for the article! Yes I do need to get better at taking OG and FG measurements. I did take OG on this last 5 gal batch. I just hate popping open the bucket lid 3 days in a row, I feel like I am letting out my CO2. Even though I know it is heavier than air. Plus it just seemed like dipping a turkey baster into my wort 3 times was asking for trouble.

Oh yeah, this pair has been sitting for 19 days. I know it isn't a good indicator, but I sat with a stop watch and gave up after 2 minutes of watching the airlock with no bubbles.

Thanks for the article! Yes I do need to get better at taking OG and FG measurements. I did take OG on this last 5 gal batch. I just hate popping open the bucket lid 3 days in a row, I feel like I am letting out my CO2. Even though I know it is heavier than air. Plus it just seemed like dipping a turkey baster into my wort 3 times was asking for trouble.

Oh yeah, this pair has been sitting for 19 days. I know it isn't a good indicator, but I sat with a stop watch and gave up after 2 minutes of watching the airlock with no bubbles.

Me too, so I check it once when it should be done and then again 3-4-5-6 days later. If it stayed the same between the first sample and one 6 days later, I'm sure its done. You only need 2 samples that way. Sometimes I do the 3 day check (if I'm impatient) instead of 4 or 5 day.

Back