1st Year Hop Experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerisgud

Reaction score
I just received two cascade rhizomes and one nugget and have planted them in the ground early due to the trending warmer temps here in CT. I will be uploading pictures of the process as I go. I’d recommend you check out chop and brew growing hops episodes on YouTube as well as Gridlocked’s old post of a four year documentation of growing hops on the eves of his home and backyard fence. Check paulasaurus thread also for trellis inspiration. These were my main sources of information and I’d like to thank all those guys for there hard work and lessons learned. Anyways, keep tabs on this post to check out my grow and please any suggestions and tips I really would appreciate it! And if you have questions maybe I can help let’s get a discussion going. It’s time to order your rhizomes! :hops:
F4F1392C-5BA6-428D-BEA9-0D7EF2E2AC6B.jpeg

i just got mine here in NJ, glad to see someone else threw theirs in the ground already- that was my plan as well.

From what I’ve read hop rhizomes are hardy and can withstand a mild frost as long as it’s warming up during the day to the 50s and it’s not a string of freezing nights. I’m sure if we get a late rogue snow storm here it will stunt the growth of any early shoots. I’m taking the risk to see if it makes it thru. If it does I’m assuming it might gain some extra ground due to the early start. I can always buy more rhizomes if needed and start over April-May. Good luck with your grow, post some pics when they sprout!

Here’s some more pics. South facing. The cascades will hopefully climb to the garage roof.
IMG_2296.JPG

East facing. Possibly will be a spot an additional plant. Maybe a strain that appreciates mostly morning sun exposure, any suggestions?
IMG_2298.JPG

Planted the nugget here to run along the patio roof and growing some snow peas in the planter box.
IMG_2294.JPG

I used these sifters when I dug out the soil to remove rocks and use my own topsoil. Little extra work but I like the idea of being resourceful.
IMG_2301.JPG

Rigged up a little piping to collect the spring water by my woods to hopefully water my plants and maybe brew with it if I can get a more efficient set up running. Current flow rate is 1 gallon/minute.
IMG_2304.JPG

who did you guys order from. i was going to buy form LHBS but they said early may we should have some in. my plant from last year is already starting to grow.

I ordered from amazon. A single company called Hip hops inc. is on amazon marketplace. They are located in Merced, CA. The rhizomes can be shipped year round from there location as supplies last. All specimens were chunky and full of growth. I ordered feb 21, received Mar 5, the date I was told it would arrive. I was happy with my purchase.

I will add that they are more expensive to purchase from amazon. If you are impatient like me i went ahead and got them. For the same price you could buy twice as many rhizomes from a preorder from other popular online retailers. Or purchase crowns to get a little head start. Maybe that’s what I should done with my money lol

I ordered from amazon. A single company called Hip hops inc. is on amazon marketplace. They are located in Merced, CA.
Have those cuttings been virus indexed? And if so, did they provide the phytosanitary documentation?

Thanks b-hoppy for opening my eyes to the importance of sourcing clean plant material. I am keeping a close eye on them. The nugget has sprouted with one shoot and the cascades are showing several now. The spring water idea has been nice for leisurely watering my young plants and garden but will become extremely slow for when water is in higher demand. Oh well! I’d like to find out if it’s safe to drink though. Also squashed the east side planting plan. More sun, the better. I ordered two more cascades, these will go in the empty middle box. I have a extra large planter I will be putting two chinooks into to experiment growing on an arbor. Both are coming from adventures in home brewing. I post some pics of the plants soon as this rain stops!

I understand with mature plants that many growers trim off all these bull shoots once they are a bit taller and do a second pruning at the time of selecting bines for training. For these first years, Let’s say I want to establish a root system but also hope to get a small harvest of cones. I’m trying to understand what some posts have meant by letting them go wild. What is my best method for pruning these first year plants while benefitting the health underground and above? Thanks guys!

I ordered rhizomes about three weeks ago from Yakima Valley Hops; got three Cascade rhizomes for $18 shipped. Within four days the shoots were peaking through the ground, and now I'm in the process of training the bines. Almost all of the stuff I've read suggested to let the first year's growth go wild and not expect a bountiful harvest. Roots versus cones is what many suggest. That's my plan for this first year...I've been pleased/surprised with how it's gone so far...can't wait to see how things develop. Good luck up there!

Awesome that sounds like some fast growth! By “up there” I’m assuming you’ve got some warmer temps goin on compared to where I’m at. I’m seeing some 30s at night occasionally :confused: but they’re hanging in there and creeping up with the random 60s days. As far as any harvest yeah I don’t have much expectations. I’ve seen some others first year success with some beautiful cones. I suppose it will come down to everything no matter what between strain, soil, nutrients, and weather like any crop. I’m just happy to see leaves already! As of now I guess I’ll train any bines that come up, hollow or not

Hey guys quick update I’ve got about 7 shoots on one cascade and 5 on the other all really enjoying the sun lately. They’ve been out of the ground for weeks creeping up in cooler weather. But in just these past few days of warmth they grew 1-2” I’m beginning to see the growth potential these plants have and I’m getting excited to set up my twine soon. I’ll update pics on these cascades soon. As for the nugget rhizome it has a single robust bine that has grown 3” in these few warm spell days. I set up the twine by attaching the full length of twine for the run starting at the base, a gentle wrap an loosely ran it up to the eyelet screw. I tied the remaining length up and attached it to the roof for now until it’s climbed and ready to be strung and taut farther along the gutter. It has already wrapped around it in 24 hr it’s amazing watching them move thru the day
9548447E-0F13-466B-87A1-A053423F3502.jpeg

I’ve got to remember to turn my phone for pics!

The wife and I picked out some flowers for the hops garden. I heard marigolds are good companions for hops so I did some in each hop planter. Also leveled the bricks up. It’s starting to looking alive now back here!
B6A21BF9-4A70-4B65-89B1-0089AA24CCB4.jpeg

B531843F-630B-42DD-AA10-722EA0866D4F.jpeg

F9953EDA-34EF-4618-B104-6E1BA3C582C8.jpeg

CB3BE7DC-9ECE-4987-B7C2-852DBAAD9B9A.jpeg

31F31559-BB4B-494D-AB83-28DF0B8C2378.jpeg

Looks good! I’m waiting for rhizomes still was told I’d have them by the end of May. I’m not concerned if I don’t get anything really this year just getting them set up for the next several years.

Looks good! I’m waiting for rhizomes still was told I’d have them by the end of May. I’m not concerned if I don’t get anything really this year just getting them set up for the next several years.
Yeah same here waiting for some more rhizomes from adventures in homebrewing. Also looking like by the end of the month. I’m glad I have this going already but I’m sure these fast growing plants with have no problem almost catching up to these guys. As long as they come back strong next year. I’m really looking forward to eating the hop shoots, i do love asparagus!

I love the idea of combining them with flowers, looks terrific. I may steal your idea, mine are about 5 years old and I'd like to change my setup a bit.
The first year of growing is a lot of fun, enjoy!

I love the idea of combining them with flowers, looks terrific. I may steal your idea, mine are about 5 years old and I'd like to change my setup a bit.
The first year of growing is a lot of fun, enjoy!
Creating something we can walk under and around that is also a flower garden was my way of convincing my wife on planting hops at our new home. I do believe in a few years she will be impressed with them but for now some added color is a nice touch.

So I’ve got a couple questions I’m hoping I can get some help with. These are new baby plants so Im pretty hesitant on some things. I purchased some garden safe brand neem oil extract. I could use some information on how and when I may need to use this product.
Also about fertilizer...any recommendations for good organic fertilizers at this stage, and during bloom? I currently have that miracle grow 30-10-10 dissolvable radioactive blue stuff but I don’t know if I should use it. I’m leaning more towards organic options. I do have some Bonnie plants organic liquid 8-4-4 that I have done one light application about a week ago.
I also have a bottle of spray n grow. Very curious about this product and if hops would enjoy it. It is a leaf applied zinc and iron micronutrient spray. It was given to me by a fig tree grower. Any advice on a good schedule to follow with applications on any of these things or others you would recommend? Appreciate any help thank you!

today was a good day I strung up my sisal twine and rope. I decided to stick with the coarse stuff and avoid wire because of the slip when tying off my twine to the top. First I tied the top rope. Then spaced out two twine lines per box, tied them from the top and ran down to the plants with extra slack. I laid the twine into the taller shoots as possible right now and will cut the slack and tie it off to eyelets on the boxes when they start taking hold. I think this is my final setup unless they really take off I will add more runners up to the garage. Enjoying the better weather lately. Temps are looking great next week with Daytime 70s and above 50s at night. Also got an email my rhizomes from adventures in homebrewing have shipped. Two more cascades to fill in the middle box. And two chinooks for a planter near that lattice arbor
AE09A9E8-A549-435C-B78F-E56A7AAB797A.jpeg

B56811A0-61B8-461A-B369-99CB52A2D9C0.jpeg

My reward after all this work!
B17BE711-84A4-4BDA-BD1A-D22D4FA13D53.jpeg

Hopefully you won’t need neem oil, but i have used it the last few years to try and get rid of leafhoppers that live on the underside of and cause damage to the leaves.
For fertilizers, early in the season bloodmeal (for nitrogen) is good for growth, and potash is good later in the season to promote flowering. I’ve bought small bags of each at the local garden center to work into the soil.

I wish I bought some of these meals when I made my soil! Are they slow release mixed in soil components and can’t really be used after planting, correct? The soil I put together was really a mix of stuff I had on hand. I did 20% cow manure, 35% outdoor potting mix, 30% screened native soil, 5% peat moss, 5% perlite, 5% fine sand. It could clump well but break apart easily with the poke of a finger. I ended up doing a light application of the miracle grow (i found it’s actually 24-8-16) for now but will pick something organic up soon

They can be used after planting, I try and add some each year, although sometimes I don't get around to doing one or the other. And like you said, there is some dilution involved, I'd have to check my notes on which one or both. The bags have some good instructions on them too.

The soil you put together sounds great, and I think the cow manure to start will provide what the blood meal would have done. You could still add potash later in the season if you wanted.

Thanks! This is proving to be a great learning experience. My Chinooks and extra cascade rhizomes came in yesterday. They were all suffering from rot on several shoots on each rhizome. I would imagine shipment of plant material for 7 days in relatively warm weather lately has been rough on them but damn, they were looking sad! I clipped off any slimy dead shoots and hoping for the best. Nuggets lookin good, still only one bine but 3ft+ now. Cascades showing some more vigor now and climbing. Struggling with keeping my strings/rope taut. Trying to train the shoots away from the crown back to the strings. I’ve noticed they take off fast (1-3” day) once on the string. Added ugly pipe insulation to protect twine/bine from getting cut on rough edges of wire fencing. I’m keeping the chinook planter in my best sun until they have any trainable shoots then I’ll move it next to the lattice arbor. Working out the kinks as I go here!
D92211A5-EFDB-4039-99CC-C3688D228738.jpeg

F788246D-6B98-4C77-A3B7-A7718331EBDF.jpeg

F3ABB111-C992-4907-9639-89104388C6BD.jpeg

64528D68-EEC5-474F-9A3B-E956E100FA0D.jpeg

The beasts have awoken! Your plants look great for first year. If you eventually extend your twine to the garage roof, they should have no trouble reaching.

Cascades are seriously monsters. Have fun watching them grow!

Hell yeah thanks man! I’m inspecting them everyday 🧐 haha I’m getting pretty excited now that they are starting to take off. I picked cascades for this spot because of that! They are very interesting plants.

Update! I’m getting ready for an onslaught of pests, so far the worst of them are chipmunks. I had one void in my fencing I couldn’t find until I noticed scratches on the wood! Bastards dug around the nugget twice and in my unprotected chinook planter. The nugget lost some roots and a young rhizome but I buried it back in. I stapled the crap outta my fencing. So far the nugget seems okay. 9 days later and quite a jump in growth. Cascades left to right have 6 bines/1 baby shoot/3 bines. Nugget is now training on the horizontal rope.

E16C5946-FBFC-485A-B14B-B58B213899F9.jpeg

Chinooks
AE747723-1E0B-4BE2-AE4B-F2FC63C69419.jpeg

Attachments

• FBE708A5-3DCF-4121-9F3F-FAA06EAA4C18.jpeg
    FBE708A5-3DCF-4121-9F3F-FAA06EAA4C18.jpeg
    420.6 KB · Views: 28
Update! I’m getting ready for an onslaught of pests, so far the worst of them are chipmunks. I had one void in my fencing I couldn’t find until I noticed scratches on the wood! Bastards dug around the nugget twice and in my unprotected chinook planter. The nugget lost some roots and a young rhizome but I buried it back in. I stapled the crap outta my fencing. So far the nugget seems okay. 9 days later and quite a jump in growth. Cascades left to right have 6 bines/1 baby shoot/3 bines. Nugget is now training on the horizontal rope.

View attachment 682693
Chinooks
View attachment 682694

This will take care of the chipmunk problem..... Havahart Small 2-Door Professional Live Animal Cage Trap for Rat, Squirrel, Chipmunk, and Weasel-1025 - The Home Depot

I got an email that my hop rhizomes are on there way from Adventures in Homebrewing, I’ll post some pics once they are here and in the ground. @Beerisgud Glad you started this thread, I’m excited to see your Hops and looking forward to showing off mine.

@CodeSection trapping would be better (more humane) than my plan of a 5 gallon bucket of water and a plank with some peanut butter! I was frustrated at the time lol Hoping that once I get fencing around the chinooks I’ll be okay. Next year I plan to have a vegetable garden, I might need a few of those traps!

@Transamguy77 hope your rhizomes arrive soon. I look forward to seeing others first years. Despite the slimy look of my more recent plantings from AIH they all came up. Post em if you got em guys!

@CodeSection trapping would be better (more humane) than my plan of a 5 gallon bucket of water and a plank with some peanut butter! I was frustrated at the time lol Hoping that once I get fencing around the chinooks I’ll be okay. Next year I plan to have a vegetable garden, I might need a few of those traps!.....

I've trapped 21 pack rats in the past several weeks. Truth be told, I'm finding out I'm a poor swim instructor.....;)

Time for an update! only 2 weeks later and everything is gaining length and growing sidearms except the young chinooks. The 2 newly planted cascades in the center box are not showing much else than a small shoot with a few leaves. Fortunately I have 7 bines on the left and 3 on the right so I can attempt to fill in the canopy a little this year. Also realizing that this setup will need some seriously reinforcing for next year. I imagine it will look really nice once it’s symmetrical, full, and secure from wind.

nugget
89B326C3-4D05-4053-870A-CE399E23BB9C.jpeg

Cascades
A3D4CA8C-F9F3-4342-9692-C13E2F50A30B.jpeg

0353C0E3-4213-42C5-B674-B2BD887E34DF.jpeg

Chinooks
3F284C8C-CCB4-4C2A-8F62-40D3EC678B41.jpeg

Back