1st try at cider...HELP!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxerbrew

Reaction score
Ok, I made my first cider attempt yesterday and here is my recipe:

3 1/2 gallons 100% apple juice
2 cans of wildberry juice concentrate
2 1/2 tsp of pectic enzyme
5 tsp of yeast nutrient
1 lb corn sugar
1 campden tablet
1 gallon water
1 packet Lavlin wine yeast

Heres my question. In the cans of concentrate, there is sodium citrate, ascorbic acid, and malic acid. I haven't seen any signs of fermentation yet and was wondering if the something listed in the concentrate has killed my yeast or otherwise inhibited fermentation? Can someone tell me whats going on here? Its been about 30 hours since I pitched the yeast. There also wasnt a date on the yeast packet, but I bought it in Feb. so it should be ok.
Thanx in advance.

I'm happy to say your juice concentrate is fine.

The problem is the camden tablet you added. That basically zapped the yeast at soon as it touched your must.

Wait at least 24 hours and re-add yeast (you could add some again now if it's been 30 hours...).

thanks,
The campden tablet did it huh? How will the next yeast take off with it still in there, and why will waiting help? The only other yeast I have on hand is Safeale US-05, it that good enough?

Well, when you add campden tablets you are supposed to wait 12-24 hours to add the wine yeast, but it still should be ok. Stir it up a ton to dissapate some of the sulfite, and that yeast should take off. Wine yeasts are not particularly susceptible to sulfites, so you should be fine. (I use sulfites in ALL of my fruit wines, and never had an issue with them not starting due to campden- campden doesn't kill wine yeast, not at all). Maybe some more aerating will help oxygenate your must and get it going.

I've never used ale yeast in cider, do I don't know about that.

Back