1st Time Yeast Washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsnort

Reaction score
I usually just save the trub from the bottom of the secondary and re-pitch that, but I wanted to try to something a bit more "pure":

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hbrew/hbyewash.htm

Easy procedure. I used bottled purified water instead of boiled/cooled - hopefully it won't be an issue.

I just racked an English Mild to the secondary and the next batch is a Red Ale. I didn't want the darker ale to taint the color of the red, so I gave it a try. The washed yeast is very neutral in color, just like the original White Labs British ale yeast did in the vial - except I've got about 10+ vials worth!

Going to just pitch it next weekend. Brew, drink a few beers, and watch the Daytona 500 simultaneously. So many distractions - sounds like a "boil-over/scorching/missed hops addition" waiting to happen.

Hopsnort

I didn't have success with my first wash. I let it settle for a couple days
trying to really get it clean. Turns out I didn't have enough suspended yeast
to get things going.

Will try again and pour off after an hour or so next time I use liquid yeast.

It's still fun to experiment and learn.

1st settling: 30 minutes - this took care of most of the big crud (mostly pelleted hops)
2nd settling: 3 hours

Then poured it off a final time and stuck it in the refrigerator.

Probably didn't get it perfectly "pure", but it looks pretty good to me!!!

Hopsnort

***Edited - I put the wrong 2nd settling time in***

Back