1st time water adjustments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpinette2

Reaction score
Planning my next brew day, NEIPA. This will be my 5th batch. My first three were attempts at NEIPA, and although i made many errors in the process, I believe my water profile didn’t help. Now that i’m getting the hang of it, i want to attempt to treat my water to make a hoppy/juicy/hazy ipa.

12#golden promise
5oz honey malt
8oz flakes wheat
1#flaked oats

wyeast1318

Hop schedule

.7oz zythos first wort 90 min boil
.5oz el dorado 5min
.5 mosaic 5 min
.5 citra 5min
.5 zythos 5 min

.5oz el dorado whirlpool
.5 mosaic whirlpool
.5 citra whirlpool
.5 zythos whirlpool

.5 oz el dorado dryhop 5days
.5 mosaic dryhop 5days
.5 citra dryhop 5days

1oz el dorado dh 2days
1oz citra dh 2days
1oz mosaic dh 2 days

Using beersmith3 water calculator(and there information for boston water) These are adjustments i have made

7g gypsum
4.5 epsom salt
4.5 salt
3 calcium chorlide

Here is screenshot of adjustments.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

IMG_0885.jpg

FYI for a 5.25gallon batch. Beersmith calculates i need 12.98gallons of water.

FYI for a 5.25gallon batch. Beersmith calculates i need 12.98gallons of water.

That sounds way off. For a 5.5 gllon batch I am using between 8.25-8.75 gallons depending on my grist, but if you have a bunch of pumps and plumbing in your system, you might have more losses then I do with my simple setup.

Also, IIRC Golden Promise doesn't have a lot of diastatic power...you might want to consider splitting it with 2 row to get good conversion.

As to the water I have had good success using a 100:200 ratio of gypsum to calcium chloride and targeting a mash pH of 5.3.

Back