1st time nottingham

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunden

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am making another batch of ed warts hause. I usually use s-05 this is the first time using the nottingham. My batch has been in the chamber at about 67df. I got a pretty vigurous start on fermentation and it went strong for about 30 hrs., but now shows no sign in the airlock. I know that is not a true indication, and I will take a reading tomorrow, but do you guys that have experience with notty think this thing could have finished?

Probably not finished, but close after 30 hours. I've had fast fermentations with notty. I typically let my beer sit in the primary for at least a couple of weeks, so I don't check gravities until then. Only the hydrometer knows.....

I used notty for the first time this past sunday. And like you i have a very vigorous fermentation going. I agree with the the above suggestions, let it sit a while unless you plan to go to secondary.

I have had some beers ferment out completely in 24 hours when I've used nottingham yeast, so yes, it could be finished. I'd still let it sit about 7-10 days (or more) to allow the yeast to digest any diacetyl or other by-products of fermentation before racking.

You'll notice something else with that yeast- when you do go to rack it, you'll have a very tightly compacted trub. It's super easy to rack it, because the trub just stays solid and the beer will be nice and clear.

yeah, i plan on leaving it in primary for three weeks. thanks for the feedback! yoop, does this clear better than the 05? Iwas able to get the 05 pretty clear.

Back