1st time mead batch quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwimbody

Reaction score
So my 1st batch of Mead has been fermenting for about 5 days... still running like a train. When do I transfer away from all the fruit I put in it? I had raisins cinnamon orange slices and cloves. Do I need to transfer into another fermentor and remove that fruit? Or should it risk it and let it carry on for 5 more months and rack it in October?

JAOM jays ancient orange mead. I left mine I un-racked for 6 years, it’ll be fine lol. But that all said, the standard practice for wine/mead making says to rack off the lees and solids once fermentation is stabilized or done. In this case, I’d leave it alone until it is completely clear, then rack off the lees and solids. Let age and rack again before bottling.

Dangit, did the abbreviation wrong, even though I know better! Joe's Ancient Orange Mead.
I rack the clear mead straight into bottles, careful not to disturb any sediment. I always put the last cloudy sludge in a separate mason jar in the fridge to let it settle again. And then have my first glass of chilled mead from that batch!

Hello @Schwimbody Rack from the fruit and or spices after primary Fermentation is complete or nearly complete.

You are done when... Your hydrometer indicates no drop in Specific Gravity a week apart.

I tend to rack from fruit and or spices etc when the hydrometer hits 1.010 plus or minus a bit then let it finish in Secondary fermentation until it clears and or as stated above when your hydrometer indicates no drop in Specific Gravity a week apart. Then only rack from the lees when they accumulate 1/4" or so or until i just cant stand not playing with it.

NOTE - Depending upon the amount of honey, yeast, temperature and nutrients, Primary fermentation can take anywhere from 8 to 60 days. For me typically a melomel (Fruit Added to mead) with a starting / Original Gravity (OG) of 1.120 and using good practices and nutrient addition takes about 20 days in Primary and another 15 days in secondary with as much as another 15 days to clarify before bottling. (Some take considerably longer in each step.)

If you haven't already - Search for Joes Ancient Orange Mead (JAOM) the practices touted by Joe does produce some very pleasant mead. However, does take some time. Also look up Brays One Month Mead (BOMM), Staggered Nutrient Additions (SNA) each will teach you some things.

Also look at this one. Detailed Melomel Recipe I just realized it needs to be updated with some additional things I have learned since posting but is generally still pretty applicable.

Back