1st time brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forsaken1323

Reaction score
[2 posts combined -mod]

So I started my first batch of mead and decided to go with 1 gallon...

I didn't look into anything but now that I'm 3 weeks in I figured it should be getting close to done. But like a cocky noob I didn't look into it much and don't have any equipment to check anything. Is there a way to do so without anything? If not, can someone point me to a decent website to get the equipment needed and more yeast and yeast nutrients and all the stuff needed to continue making it?

Is burping every 15-20 seconds a strong indication that im still a ways off or if there was a way of knowing. Without extra equipment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to HBT!

Moderator's note: I combined your 2 posts into this one, to make it clearer what you're doing and asking.

Is burping every 15-20 seconds a strong indication that im still a ways off
Yes, as long as there are new bubbles appearing in your airlock, it's fermenting.

But if you don't see bubbles, that doesn't mean it's done. It may very well still be fermenting, either very slowly (most fermentations slow down toward the end) or possibly when there a (small) leak around the lid or airlock, where the CO2 is escaping through, rather than through the airlock.

One tell tale that fermentation has finished, is when the mead is clearing. You should let it clear for a few weeks, before transferring (racking or bottling).

I would strongly encourage you to get a hydrometer and use it. Bubbles in the air lock is not a reliable indication of fermentation.

Brewer's Elite Hydrometer & Test

Probably just personal preference, but I'd be looking for a much more plain looking hydrometer...

I would look for one having an all white paper scale (no color bands). It makes it easier to read. Also, select one with as wide a spacing between the smaller (sub)markings of .002 as possible.

You only need SG and Brix scales. However, most will also incorporate a "potential alcohol" scale, which is not very useful.
The longer the scale between 0.990 and 1.160, the better. Even 1/2" longer can make a big difference in readability between the smaller .002 submarkings to derive at a .001 precision reading.

I picked one up at my local homebrew store for $10-12. Comes in a plastic tube for protection.
If there are removable stoppers on each end of the storage tube, tape one down, permanently! If not taped down, it will drop out, hydrometer and all, unexpectedly, at some point in the near future. Guaranteed!

Hydrometers are very fragile, you need to handle them with respect, gently, at all times. They tend to roll, so never lie one down on a table or countertop, or other flat surface, without a towel underneath. Do not shake them off to dry, they'll break. Dry them carefully, using a soft towel.

Does it take 6 months or is that just your preference @TkmLinus
I find in wine and mead that(in general) there are going to be unwanted/undesirable flavors when young. It may be harsh, bitter, too dry, lacking flavor, alcohol too hot aka "rocket fuel taste", etc. These flavors take time to mellow out. I have bottled earlier than 6 months and each time the mead/wine needed more time and always got better after several months. Since I have enough fermenters that it doesn't restrict me if I have one tied up for 6 months, I just let it bulk age so that I start with a better tasting product in the bottle. Also, at 6 months I can be quite certain the yeast is done and most everything will have settled.

Yes it's possible and easy enough to make mead that's drinkable and tastes good while young (2-6 months old) and all it takes is careful monitoring and care. It does get better with age as this allows everything to mellow stress out and flavors to come together but once you've got things figured out you can make mead in a number of styles that's tasty and ready to go once it clears.

Taken care of 'during' fermentation, this is when stress and off flavors can develop at any time based on temperature, lack of nutrients or any number of silly things. Once you get the hang of a clean healthy fermentation, the rest is simple. Get some sanitizer and mix it in a spray bottle which makes things easier in my opinion. Get a hydrometer with specific gravity and brix, not a proof and trall hydrometer, that's for liquor and ethanol. Whatever recipe style or nutrition schedule you decide to try just stick with it a few (2-5) batches before making big changes to your practice. Repetition can reveal mistakes that teach you quicker than anything, take any information with a grain of salt and if you don't like the advice offered try your hand at something you want to do and write everything down. Nothing worse than making a great mead and realizing you didn't write down some critical information lol. Alot of helpful experience around here but feel free to go off the beaten path, cheers and good luck.

Thanks for the advice... I have been taking notes on what I have been doing and plan to continue to do so... and found out I have a brewery near by and plan on going and picking up the hydrometer and some better yeast and nutrients as well as sanitizer and anything anyone one else suggests as far as necessities go for now and later on upgrading to bigger setups

So more or less if taken care of once it clears up it can be ready to drink?
Short answer is yes......but, it doesn't have to be clear to be enjoyable. Clarity, for me, is for the people I gift it to, for the people you want to present it to. Cloudy won't hurt you & will still taste great, but, as @Kyzaboy89 has stated, flavors will come together a lot more & things that were stressed have a chance to relax if given time to age a bit.

What CKuhns said, lower abv is ready sooner, higher abv can change over night or take a year, all preferences and thanks for bringing up the abv bit CKuhns.

So how long would you say 3 lbs of honey with 2 grams of dry yeast would take to finish fermenting? If unsure im going to be getting a hydrometer tomorrow or Saturday and I will check in on the readings

Not accounting for temperature or nutrition, even hydrated before pitching could be a day or two before it really gets going or less than 2 hours, yeast can be crazy. 3# should be done in 10-14 days even without nutrients, again though this can cause stress which prolongs clarity in some cases and you can get an identifiable alcohol "jet fuel" flavor. Yeast, water and honey will work, mix it well and foamy, degas twice daily if possible and be patient. Letting it age is best practice but whenever you like the flavor it's ready to drink, but it can get better later 😉

I have added some yeast nutrients to it and the temperature has been between 55⁰ and 60⁰ fahrenheit mostly on the higher side of that

That's on the cooler side but check the temp range of the yeast, might be cold which will slow it down, but if it's working try it out.

It seems like it's doing alright im kinda thinking about adding some more nutrients to it cause it's starting to smell a little like liquor. Unless that's supposed to be normal

It says to heat it to between 95 and 100⁰ Fahrenheit and to maintain that heat for 20 minutes but not what temperature to store it in threwout the fermentation process but im going to get more equipment and yeast here in the next few days and im going to go about this run a little smarter then last time

Those are the rehydration instructions for the yeast, warm sanitary water to temperature then add dry yeast to rehydrate. The alcohol smell is just that, evaporated alcohol so don't worry there. If you just added nutrients wait for the gravity to drop around a "sugar break" roughly when 1/3 of the honey is fermented then add some nutrients.

It's been 9 days since I added some to it but if that's what it's supposed to smell like then I'll let it keep doing its thing

As it ferments the abv grows so the more alcohol, the more you are going to notice it, over time that will age and mellow out so it's less alcohol and more honey or fruit scents. And 9 days since you added nutrients, might help to add some but check gravity or if it's smelling fine and far enough along just let it be. Adding to late can cause issues as well.

Alright thanks. I'll have to check it out here in the next few days. Still don't have a way to do a gravity check. I'll be getting that tomorrow hopefully... I went into this completely blind lol I'm just glad I stumbled across this site

No problem, we all do, nothing wrong with letting it run it's course. As a beginner I am obligated to inquire whether or not you have tried a Joe's Ancient Orange Mead? Just a personal favorite that I try to convince everyone to play with.

I'll give that one a go next... im getting another set up as well as the hydrometer come tomorrow or Saturday

Only thing I substitute is an actual airlock instead of balloon, best of luck and keep us posted.

Yeah ill probably stick with the airlock cause I have no clue what I'm doing with a balloon lol and I will. Thanks for the help

Just my opinion here, if you follow a recipe then follow it so you know what it's supposed to be, then you can adjust. A JAOM isn't it's namesake if you change yeast, then it's a mead with spices and fruits, a BOMM isn't the same without 1388. Now with that said, you can absolutely use any yeast you like, what's the difference between Coke and Pepsi? In mead it could be one ingredient difference that changes your mind from drinkable to desirable, if you want to experience the same nostalgic mead everyone has tried at some point, just follow the recipe. If you try a few changes the results can vary so be warned.

Sorry if that went to long, either way try what you can and learn from there. My personal bit is without the exact ingredients list it's not a true JAOM but that's just me, cheers.

Latest posts

Back