1st made yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
Just made my 1st made yeast starter, I used 4cups of water to 1cup of DME. I left my white labs Edinburgh ale yeast out over night, when I swirled it and shook lightly. When I went to open it it exploded like a shaken soda bottle! Do I need to buy another vial? See pics below.

image-818361216.jpg

image-32579384.jpg

image-2068452323.jpg

No, it's happened to me with about 50% of them. Don't panic you're fine. It's just built up co2 released when you shook the crap out of it. Though leaving the vial out overnight is a bit excessive you really just need it out long enough to bring the temp up to room. I think the packages say 6 hrs.

Is my ratio ok? 4 cups of water to 1 cup of DME? Or is this screwed up?

I know I did 4 cups of water. I'm not sure exactly what that transforms to in ML. Here is a pic. Is this going to work? It looks like the yeast have settled to the bottom. What can I do to be sure as I'm brewing in about 5hrs??

image-113861124.jpg

since it appears you don't have a stir plate you want to agitate it every hour or whenever you think about it...that will keep it doing its thing...then when ready to pitch just shake around and pour in...some people will say to cold crash and decant the mix. I don't do that and it hasn't been an issue for me...
it will work as long as the yeast you put into your starter was viable. the only issue you might have if the starter didn't work as you wanted it to is that you will be underpitching...

I boiled for 10 min. Then cooled?? Should I get another vial of yeast to be sure, would it be better or help?

I really do not know how to know if the yeast is still ok or if it's enough? It's been out in the started since 930am (central time) yesterday morning.

It will act like a mini beer. Since you don't have a stir plate you should be swirling it ever hour or two. You'll know it is viable if it begins creating a krausen layer.

I didn't see a kraussen layer, just foam and now seem like the yeast has settled to the bottom.

Looks like this, should I still be storing it if ill be brewing in the next few hrs?

image-3167301692.jpg

That looks good to me, though next time I'd make a bit larger starter. And no, you don't need to do anything to it if you're brewing in the next couple hours. When you're read to pitch, decant off most of the liquid, swirl what's left, and dump it in there.

How much water do indeed for mashing for 9lbs of grain??

How much water is needed for a 9lbs of grain to achieve 1.044 gravity??

Back