1st foamy bottle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tireater

Reaction score
Opened my first foamy bottle...almost emptied the bottle...All the other bottles in this batch are normal...What's up..?..Thanks

I have been having this same issue with a batch I made in January. Had 2 geysers out of the batch so far, only got 36 bottles I think. I am now pretty scared to open any of the bottles from that batch.

What was your OG and FG? Batch size and priming sugar amount?

5 gal
5 oz...
We finished off most of the batch and it was good...just this one bottle?

Were the bottles stored differently? Some in the fridge, some not?
Otherwise, sounds like dirty bottles. Remember that you have to clean them with something like PBW as well as sanitize with StarSan...and don't rinse off the StarSan (I made that mistake once).

For the first batch I cleaned the bottles with the powdered bleach that came with the beer kit...
For the next 13 batches I used a capful of Iodophor in 5 gal of water and used a brush, bottle washer and bottle tree...
At a low point in my bottle collecting days...I did some dumpster diving...I tried to scrub those bottles out more throughly...
What is the official way to clean beer bottles...? I have 32 cases of bottles...

Iodophor is NOT a cleaner, it's a sanitizer. Those are two separate steps. As to bleach, you should steer clear of it because it leaves behind a very persistent residue that can lead to off-flavors.

Clean the bottle with PBW, or B-Brite, or OxiClean; some sort of product that can remove organic soils. (I recommend PBW.) Then sanitize with StarSan or Iodophor, or something of that sort to kill microorganisms.

1 bottle in a batch being a geyser doesn't necessarily indicate a dirty bottle. Dirty bottle would tend to be off flavor, infection, and possibly even no carbonation. It is more likely that the priming sugar wasnt mixed in thoroughly or evenly. Your geyser could have very well been the first bottle you filled and it had a higher concentration of sugar. If it was 1 bottle in your batch, I wouldn't be too concerned about changing anything in your process. Chalk it up to an anomaly. OH..but do try to get away from the bleach as mentioned above.

really-- we want to stir up the bleach controversy again?

Let's not rehash that here and simply refer him to the search button.

(I come from a long line of bleach users and have used it myself many times--- Star san is just so much easier)

Back