1st Dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuclearguy

Reaction score
Going to dry hop my SN IPA clone and was wondering if I need to do something to the hop pellets before I add them? Should I boil a hop tea first? I will be adding 1 oz cascade pellet hops. I was also planning on not using a secondary, so the hops are going into the primary after 10 days. Is this a good idea?

You do not need to sanitize them or do anything else to them. You can either just toss them in, which makes one hell of a mess and is difficult (for me) to keep from sucking into the bottling bucket, or you can put them in a muslin bag. Sanitize the bag first, and some marbles, toss them into the bag, tie off the top and drop them in. I find that about 6 marbles sinks the bag at first, but as the hops become saturated with beer, the bag rises to the top. It takes about 3 to 4 days for that to happen, so I figure it gets dry hopped at the bottom and the top.

Greg

Never boil your dry hops! The main purpose of dry hopping is to dissolve flavors & aromas that heating would destroy.

I just bottled my first dry hopped IPA. I just tossed the Cascade pellets into the secondary. The pretty much sank out after 7 days. On the 8th day I racked to the bottling bucket using my funnel with a strainer. Whatever was in suspension got caught by the strainer. Cleaning the trub out of the carboy wasn't fun though.

Back