1st Brew, what do I do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dudweiser

"I go awful mad for pints sometimes "
Reaction score
Hi

Ive just done my first brew, it has finished fermentation, and as I have a draught system already in my house I decided to keg rather than bottle, I've had it force carbing for around 4 days and been super excited decided to try,
All I can say is it tastes kind young and apple like...Will it get better in a corny keg if i leave it for a few weeks ? I also bottled what was left in fermenter and that seems to be really clearing up after 5 days, is the same happening in the keg? Any info would be greatly appreciated

How long was it in fermentation before racking to the keg, and what kind of beer is it?
Was fermentation for 9 days i checked gravity and it was the same for 2 days so decieded to keg..its an Austrian lager kit i got as a present

Congrats on the first brew!

So I think it'll be fine. Lagers do benefit from the "lagering" phase, which is really just keeping it cold for a couple of weeks. I'd say keep it cold for a couple of weeks and maybe try it every week. I typically am drinking them after 3 weeks of lagering but granted, i don't do a lot of lagers.

I do a lot of lagers, It sounds like it tastes like a young beer. Let it set in a cold environment for 3 more weeks in the keg. It will mature and clear. Congrats on your first beer, patience is the hardest part of brewing.

Congrats on the first brew!

So I think it'll be fine. Lagers do benefit from the "lagering" phase, which is really just keeping it cold for a couple of weeks. I'd say keep it cold for a couple of weeks and maybe try it every week. I typically am drinking them after 3 weeks of lagering but granted, i don't do a lot of lagers.
Thanks for the advise , il let it sit so..and sample every now and again. Ive started a Belgium saison for my second batch think il just leave in fermenting vessel longer..Ive probs been abit inpatient with this batch

I do a lot of lagers, It sounds like it tastes like a young beer. Let it set in a cold environment for 3 more weeks in the keg. It will mature and clear. Congrats on your first beer, patience is the hardest part of brewing.
Ive been sitting over it like a watched pot..

Room temp so between 18-20 degrees Celsius
If this was a lager yeast this will be too warm. Honestly it’s around the threshold for most ale yeasts too since active fermentation will cause an increase in temperature. This could be some of the off flavors you are tasting, aging can help but only so much.

If this was a lager yeast this will be too warm. Honestly it’s around the threshold for most ale yeasts too since active fermentation will cause an increase in temperature. This could be some of the off flavors you are tasting, aging can help but only so much.
Im really not sure the yeast type it was a cheap kit from the range. I just followed the instructions on the box..hopefully its ok it will be drank either way 😂..Ive started a second batch and to be honest it looks like its working better if that makes sense ,there is much more foam and bubbling going on its a mangroves jack Belgium season..my shed smells like a proper brewey were as the lager it was just a faint beery smell

IMG-20200813-WA0044.jpeg

Day 26 tastes great

Just 1 more question guys,
Me and 2 of the lads were playing darts last night and drank the majority of the corny..When we got down to the end probably about 5 pints left , the beer went really murky and tasted completely different sort of flat even tho it had a head.. Im thinking I didnt force carb long enough is this why

Was murky due to settlement. This is normal, but should only appear in the final pint.

Next time either cold crash and rack off the clear beer from the settlement.
I need to look into cold crashing so...I have another beer that will be ready to keg in a few days dont want to make the same mistake

Thanks for the advice, how long do I have to fine with gelatin for before kegging?

Not, long, 1 to 2 days at the most. Just remember, moving the fermenter will stir up the sediment. Will need to give it time to settle again.

In my experence, I remove the fermenter from the crash cooling area and put the fermenter into my brewery. Next day, I gently stir in the plain geletin mix. I wait 2 days, leaving the fermenter untouched, rack off the clear beer into the keg and carbonate.

Not, long, 1 to 2 days at the most. Just remember, moving the fermenter will stir up the sediment. Will need to give it time to settle again.

In my experence, I remove the fermenter from the crash cooling area and put the fermenter into my brewery. Next day, I gently stir in the plain geletin mix. I wait 2 days, leaving the fermenter untouched, rack off the clear beer into the keg and carbonate.
Maybe I will put in a secondary fermenter to cold crash and fine

I've always racked primary into secondary leaving behind trub. Then, after cold crashing, fined and either transferred to bottling bucket or kegged. Look for my posted in the "Picture of your pint" or "What are you drinking now" for examples.

Get inexpensive plain geletin, follow the HBT instructions and you should have much clearer (relatively writing, meaning no chill haze) beer.

I've always racked primary into secondary leaving behind trub. Then, after cold crashing, fined and either transferred to bottling bucket or kegged. Look for my posted in the "Picture of your pint" or "What are you drinking now" for examples.

Get inexpensive plain geletin, follow the HBT instructions and you should have much clearer (relatively writing, meaning no chill haze) beer.
Will do thanks for the advice

Too bad we're not closer to each other as your beer, in the pictures, looks good!
It was one of the best feelings ive had in life, coming in from work going out to the bar and pouring a pint I created( I have a son this was a close second😂)

It was one of the best feelings ive had in life, coming in from work going out to the bar and pouring a pint I created( I have a son this was a close second😂)
I wasnt the bigest fan of it to he honest it was nice but abit light for me i like strong tasting beers , I have a belguim saison fermenting 2 weeks now and Ive tasted the warm flat liquid inside and it tatses better than the lager I made

Followed ur advice beer turned out so clear,
Sound advice thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20200923-WA0044.jpeg
    IMG-20200923-WA0044.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back