1st brew not using a kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berk2027

Reaction score
I'm making a 2 1/4 gallon batch of berrybrew for my first brew not using a kit it's been fermenting for 9 days and the recipe says it should take 10 till the fermentation ends and the gravity should be below 1010. Yet my gravity is still about 1020 or just above should I just leave it longer ? Any help is much apreciat

The general rule is to take gravity readings 3 consecutive days. If the gravity remains the same for each reading, then it's most likely done.

jmcquesten said:
The general rule is to take gravity readings 3 consecutive days. If the gravity remains the same for each reading, then it's most likely done.

That's overkill... take one, then another 3 days later. The gravity isn't going to go up in between those two readings, so if it's the same, fermentation's done.

3 consecutive gravity reading, is like 3 beers less in a batch that only makes a little over a case. And if fermentation isn't done and you have to take more readings, it's like a whole 6 pack that could've been enjoyed as cold, carbonated, and conditioned beer.

Noob here: why don't you poor the beer back in the fermenter after testing. And my hydrometer seems tall. How tall of a glass do I need to have let it float.

I dont santize hydro or tube i grab a bowl and and ladle some out pour in tube. I dont have time to santize that many times. I look at it and dump it plus its been in the open. Im not pouring weird beer with good beer....it might grow some hair! Dont get me wrong i wash it just not brain surgery clean

The make a plastic hydro test container, it's wide enough do the hydro won't touch the sides, and about 14 inches tall, they cost like $5 or something. Some guys just use the container the hydrometer came in, but mine isn't big enough for that.

And after the beer is out in open air, don't risk ruining the whole batch by pouring it back in the fermenter. Drink it so you can start to learn different flavors, and you can taste how the beer changes over time (plus.... It's still alcoholic).

They also make a tool called a thief, that makes taking your sample out of a carboy easier than using a ladle.

Get a wine thief for testing. I never waste beer. Santize the thief and hydrometer. Get my measurement. Thief some into a glass and the rest back into the carboy. Taste then bottle.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Yep, and conveniently it comes with a hydrometer inside for around $7. Or you can buy the test tube, which needs ~twice as much beer to take each reading. :D

You guys that test in your hydro case must be using a different hydro than me, because the one mine came in isn't deep enough to test for FG, and the bulb of the hydro sticks to the sides in mine.

But the test jar i use does require way more beer than necessary.

You guys that test in your hydro case must be using a different hydro than me, because the one mine came in isn't deep enough to test for FG, and the bulb of the hydro sticks to the sides in mine.

But the test jar i use does require way more beer than necessary.

:confused: Is it not deep enough to hold the whole hydrometer? It doesn't need to be any deeper than the depth the hydrometer at 1.000, if the tube the hydrometer came in holds the whole hydrometer, it's deep enough to use to take a gravity reading.

My hydro case is in two pieces, neither one is large enough to take a reading.

ForumRunner_20120929_005611.jpg

Back