1st batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krayton

Reaction score
So we started our first batch of Kombucha, on 7 January. We got our scoby from our local brew store, the brand of kombucha Brooklyn. Well I was looking at it last night and there is this white thing on top and at first I freaked out but the more I looked at it I think it might be another scoby. Is that possible? in a week? In the picture the bottom part is the scoby we bought and the top thing is what I am questioning. The second picture is another picture of the new thing and also the reason I think it might be another scoby.

16111449_10154934006697937_1059173539_n.jpg

15995542_10154934022502937_890154270_n.jpg

That means it's working. It will generate a new layer of stuff, but if your first SCOBY sinks, then the new layer forms across the surface. Every few cycles, you will want to peel off the old and just use the new. I actually separate them every batch. Try to avoid naming your new baby. That's just weird.

okay cool, thank you and dont name the baby .... I can do that, but the wife on the other hand good luck with that.

Back