1st batch worrywort, TEMP spike coming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBUDGO

Reaction score
My fermentation vessel is stored in my garage and the temp is 64 today but running up to the mid 90's in a couple of days. My instructions did not identify a temp range to store the full fermenter. My searches reveal I should be looking to stay in the 60's. Is this accurate? My glass carboy in inside a large plastic storage tub and I might be able tp throw ice in it from time to time during the hot days. Should this be refrigerated? I have my beer fridge that I could use but that sounds too cold.

if you can get a good few days of fermentation in the mid 60's you should be ok to move it inside at room temp when the temps outside goes up

Just fill the tub with water and add some ice or frozen water bottles to get to the proper temp.

and then wrap a t-shirt around the carboy, and throw a small fan on it (i.e. swamp cooler)

Indeed 70F is as warm as you want to get for most ale yeasts...warmer and you begin to develop esters, phenols, as well as fusal alcohols.

My recipe provided dry yeast. And no action yet as far as I can tell.
My airlock has drawn water up into the dome piece of the airlock and it looks full but I haven't seen a bubble yet. I filled the fermenter on Saturday afternoon and I'm writing this Tuesday morning.:mad::(

Oh ya, the outside temps should just be in the low 70s today. So I'm good, it's showing 65 right now and I just moved it to the cool cement floor which should help,today.

I gotta tell you my only worry about beer is usually getting into and out of the parking lot OR will they have the brand I want. :(:(

Back