1st batch primary vs secondary advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paradoc

Reaction score
Greetings!

My first batch, an IPA extract kit, is about 10 days into primary fermentation. The krausen has died back a bit, but still getting frequent bubbling from the airlock. The recipe calls for adding dry hops and oak to the secondary fermentation. Problem is... I'm leaving for spring break for 10days tomorrow. So... can I just add the dry hops and the oak to the primary fermentation and let it continue to ferment while I'm gone? Or, should I transfer it to a secondary even though it is still fermenting?

Thanks! :mug:
Jim

Thanks for the quick response, and link to the this vs that posts. Not to be dense, but to clarify...

1) Am I likely to get off-flavors from it sitting in the primary for 20 days total?

2) Will adding the additional hops and oak before primary fermentation is completed cause any problems with the fermentation?

Thanks!

1) No. The only risk from your beer sitting on a yeast cake for extended lengths of time is autolysis, and that's not even a concern unless your primary is longer than two months.

2) It shouldn't cause any problems with the fermentation, but I think you'd get more hop/oak flavor if you waited until after fermentation was complete. I've been told that oaking works best if you do rack to secondary, but I haven't tried it myself. I've only oaked one batch, and I did it in primary. Came out tasty as all get out. :D

1) Am I likely to get off-flavors from it sitting in the primary for 20 days total?

Not at all.

2) Will adding the additional hops and oak before primary fermentation is completed cause any problems with the fermentation?

No problems.

Back