1st attempt at a clone [Ommegang Hennepin]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJM11232

Reaction score
Hey all, I have put together an attempt at a Hennepin clone from picking up on other recipes online. I'm trying to get close to the Hennepin, but I'm not going to lose sleep if it doesn't taste spot on. This is my first attempt at a clone, I've done several kits before that came out great.

Here's what I have so far:

6.6 lbs of Breiss golden light LME
.5 lbs light malt extract powder
2 lbs light candi sugar
1.25 oz. Styrian Goldings hops [4.0%]
.5 oz. Saaz hops [2.4% Alpha 3.4% Beta]
1 tsp. of Irish moss
1 oz. bitter orange peel
Wyeast 3944 smack pack

OK. Couple questions:

First, I am going to be trying fresh ginger, instad of the recommended dried ginger root. I don't prefer a strong ginger taste, so I'm thinking of .3 oz or so.

Second, I haven't picked up grains of paradise yet. I really think this will give the beer an added complexity that it needs to taste close. The Local brew store was out of it. Can I get it at Whole foods, etc somewhere? Is it the same?

Third, I got the Wyeast 3944 because I'd have trouble keeping the temp around 77˚. The 3944 works well between 65 and 70 [which I can acheive]. Anyone used this yeast before and can speak of it's overall effect/final taste impressions upon the beer?

Any other recommendations for this type of clone from experience?

Thanks all.

Back