Sort-of-Clone of Ommegang Pale Sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone out there (1) had Brewery Ommegang's Pale Sour, and (2) have any ideas as to what might go into a recipe? Their site describes it as a "6.9% ABV mixed fermentation sour beer" but doesn't go into any more detail. My first feeling is Pilsner and white wheat, with a little bit of English light crystal and even less honey malt. Hallertau at 60 and 0. Ferment with Philly Sour, which isn't mixed-fermentation of course, but will be vastly easier and still give that fruity, tart-apple taste along with the sourness.

I'm looking for that tart-apple, white-wine, sweet and sour taste. I'm not too concerned with cloning Ommegang's exactly; as long as I get something that tastes good I'll be pretty happy.

And maybe some golden candi sugar or dextrose or something to dry it out?

Last edited:
I'm going to try

1.3 lbs. Pilsner
1.3 lbs. white wheat
0.25 lb. Crystal Light Malt
0.1 lb. honey malt

15-minute boil
3 g Hallertau Mittelfrueh (3.6% AA) @ 15 min.
3 g Hallertau Mittelfrueh (3.6% AA) @ 0 min.

5.5 g (1/2 package) Philly Sour.

for a 1-gallon batch. It's sort of a Berliner Weisse recipe, but stronger, and with the crystal and honey malts to add a little sweetness. I'd be happy to get feedback. Otherwise, it's going to be a few weeks, at which point I'll brew it and report back.

Ok, so I made it! For a 1.5-gallon batch, I settled on:

1.5 lbs. pale ale malt
1.5 lbs. white wheat
0.25 lb. Crystal Light Malt
0.15 lb. honey malt
0.5 lb. golden candi syrup

15-minute boil
3 g Hallertau Mittelfrueh (3.6% AA) @ 15 min.
3 g Hallertau Mittelfrueh (3.6% AA) @ 0 min.

5.5 g (1/2 package) Philly Sour.

It came in at just under 6% ABV. Very good. Nice and light. Crisp. Good sour tang to it, maybe because of the glucose/fructose charge. Doesn't really come close at all to Ommegang Pale Sour, though, which has much more of a white wine taste to it.

Back