1st All GRain GOING ON NOW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerjunky828

Reaction score
So I am starting my first all grain batch. I am mashing at 153 now and about to vorlauf in 30 mins. The recipe is going as followed:

12 lbs 2 Row
1 lb Caramel 40
mash at 153 for 1 hour. sparge with 4 gallons of 180 F water

1.5 oz Cascade (leaf) at 60 mins
1.0 oz Cascade at 10 mins
1.5 oz cascade at 0 mins

I am doing another batch after this also with the same grain bill but using different hops. I am kind of going to test and compare an all cascade beer to an all amarillo beer. While I know that my technique and, therefore, my efficiency is unknown because this is the first time I am using my equipment, hopefully I can get a feel for what a certain hop lends to the beer.

I am busting right now and anticipating a great brew day. Its a cool 55 F outside with the sun shining on a Sunday. Life is good now. Wish me luck:ban:

Sounds awesome, junky. Good luck to you. I'm sure that if you've done your homework, everything will turn out fine. Nice to have good weather, too.

Good luck, I did my first all grain earlier this week and everything went wonderfully!

So I am starting my first all grain batch. I am mashing at 153 now and about to vorlauf in 30 mins. The recipe is going as followed:

12 lbs 2 Row
1 lb Caramel 40
mash at 153 for 1 hour. sparge with 4 gallons of 180 F water

1.5 oz Cascade (leaf) at 60 mins
1.0 oz Cascade at 10 mins
1.5 oz cascade at 0 mins

Sounds like a nice pale!

I am doing another batch after this also with the same grain bill but using different hops. I am kind of going to test and compare an all cascade beer to an all amarillo beer. While I know that my technique and, therefore, my efficiency is unknown because this is the first time I am using my equipment, hopefully I can get a feel for what a certain hop lends to the beer.

ME TOO! At first I thought the plan was too ambitious, but now, 10 minutes into the first mash, I've already realized I forgot how many quarts are in a gallon. Sooo, the first beer is going to be a thin mash! I guess I'm glad I've got another brew going on right afterwards so I can get it right at least for today :).

I am busting right now and anticipating a great brew day. Its a cool 55 F outside with the sun shining on a Sunday. Life is good now. Wish me luck:ban:

Good luck buddy!

SG 1.044 at 136 F. Adjusted SG 1.057.

One thing I need is a stick to indicate how many gallons I have in the pot now. It looks like about 6.5 Using volumes based on previous calculations. i will see once it goes into the fermenter.

This is looking great so far.:rockin:

Sounds like a nice pale!

ME TOO! At first I thought the plan was too ambitious, but now, 10 minutes into the first mash, I've already realized I forgot how many quarts are in a gallon. Sooo, the first beer is going to be a thin mash! I guess I'm glad I've got another brew going on right afterwards so I can get it right at least for today :).

Good luck buddy!

Yeah I am glad that I have another batch waiting. It's going to be a busy but good day. Plus my roommate is all for helping. We are about to split a pale ale we made 2 mos. ago.

Good luck to you too fellow homebrew brotha from anotha motha!

one thing that I did not take into account was the volume of wort being soaked up by the leaf hops. I probably finished with about 4.5 gallons of beer. So I added a half gallon.

O.G. - 1.050

I am a little confused about SG and OG.

When I mashed for an hour and sparged with 4 gallons of water, I had a final volume of 6.75 gallons in the kettle pre-boil. I took a reading at 135F and had a gravity of 1.042. The temp adjusted gravity was 1.056.

After boiling for an hour post-boil volume was 5 gallons. The gravity was reading at 1.070.

I was under the impression that whatever gravity reading you took before boil was the gravity the beer was going to have post-boil.

If this is not the case, then does anyone have a simple conversion in finding the OG from the SG???

Will someone experienced please explain this to me??

After boiling for an hour post-boil volume was 5 gallons. The gravity was reading at 1.070.

I was under the impression that whatever gravity reading you took before boil was the gravity the beer was going to have post-boil.

No.... your gravity post boil will be higher then pre boil. This is because of evaporation during the boil. Some of the water will evaporate but the amount of sugars will not change so the post boil gravity will be higher. You can predict what that gravity will be if you know what your systems evaporation rate is. A general rule of thumb is about 15% per hour but will vary on every system. It depends on how hard you boil, the width of your boil kettle etc.

I am a little confused about SG and OG.

When I mashed for an hour and sparged with 4 gallons of water, I had a final volume of 6.75 gallons in the kettle pre-boil. I took a reading at 135F and had a gravity of 1.042. The temp adjusted gravity was 1.056.

If this is not the case, then does anyone have a simple conversion in finding the OG from the SG???

Will someone experienced please explain this to me??

Well, there is no conversion, because OG is SG...

OG is original Gravity
SG is specific gravity
FG is final gravity

FG and OG are both SG readings, that is what a hydrometer tells you, SG... the pre-ferment is OG and post ferment is FG.

So, now that we have terminology out of the way... of course your SG will rise as you boil. SG is the density of the liquid. Since you are boiling off water and concentrating sugars therefore, your SG, or density, will increase.

Back