1st AG - Will it work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhatsOnTap

Reaction score
Hey all, I've been doing extract brewing for a while now and moving on to PM. I have my first PM going right now, an IPA, and I'm excited to try it! Now that I've been bitten by the bug of converting starch to sugar I want to try an experiment but I have no idea if it will work or be drinkable so don't beat me up on this one!

Here's the idea: I want to do a 3.0 gal batch all-grain with the grains I have available to me, mostly Munich and Vienna. My thinking is that a small batch would more fit my setup, which is a pot, a collander, and a grain bag. I'm just doing a test to "dip my toes in the water" of all grain, but I don't know if my efficiency is going to be great, or squat, or what - that's where you guys come in (I hope). Here's my recipe, I have it calculated for 75% efficiency, but like I said I have no idea if I can touch that or exceed it with my basic setup.

Beer: Mild PM #1
Style: English Light Mild
Type: Partial mash Size: 3.0 gallons
Color: 9 HCU (~7 SRM)
Bitterness: 20 IBU
OG: 1.041 FG: 1.006
Alcohol: 4.5% v/v (3.5% w/w)

Grain:
1.5 lb. German Vienna
1.5 lb. German Munich
6.0 oz. Belgian biscuit
1.0 lb. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
3.0 oz. Flaked barley
Mash: 75% efficiency
Mash grains at 155 F for 60 minutes in 1.75 gal. then sparge with enough 170 F water to make 3.5 gal wort. Boil for 60 minutes, cool and pitch.

Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.035 3.5 gallons

Hops: 0.75 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 60 min.)
0.25 oz. Saaz (aroma)

The vienna and munich can convert themselves, but you'll need 1.5 pounds of 2-row to convert the Dextrine and other specialty grains. Dextrine generates a lot of starch haze if it isn't mashed and the first two grains do not have enough enzymes to do the job.

I think doing small AG batches is a great idea. I've done 2 AGs and they've been 3 gallons each. This allows me to make more different beers, since I don't have to drink as much of one beer. It also allows me to do stove boils for winter, since 3.5 gallons is doable on the stove, especially with 2 pots. My efficiency was 69% for the first try, and 74% for the second. I'm seriously questioning whether I want to do 5 gallon batches. I can brew more often, and get more different types of beer! :mug:

Not sure about your efficiency. I'm using a converted cooler and SS braid. It's worked great so far. I'd use 70% for my first time and if you do better, it'd just bump up the alc% a bit.

Okay, with that advice taken into account I got a re-write with a couple noted changes. I added 1.5 lbs of 2-row for enzyme action, I reduced the biscuit malt to 2 oz., and I increased boil volume to 4 gal.

I'll use 2.25 gal to mash in at 155 F, and 2 gal at 170 F to sparge. I'm going with an assumed efficiency of 70% Is this looking any better?

Beer: Mild PM #1 Style: English Light Mild
Type: Partial mash Size: 4.0 gallons
Color: 6 HCU (~5 SRM)
Bitterness: 15 IBU
OG: 1.037 FG: 1.006
Alcohol: 4.0% v/v (3.1% w/w)

Grain:
1.5 lb. German Vienna
1.5 lb. German Munich
2.0 oz. Belgian biscuit
1.0 lb. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
3.0 oz. Flaked barley
1.5 lb. American 2-row
Mash: 70% efficiency
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.037 4.0 gallons

Hops: 0.75 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 60 min.)
0.25 oz. Saaz (aroma)

Wait, I misread the original post. I thought it said 6 POUNDS of biscuit malt. 6oz is just fine. Might go up to 8 if you like biscuity malt flavors. Sorry about that.

Evan! said:
Wait, I misread the original post. I thought it said 6 POUNDS of biscuit malt. 6oz is just fine. Might go up to 8 if you like biscuity malt flavors. Sorry about that.

No problem. With 6 lbs of biscuit malt I would have included some sausage gravy in the recipe so I could drink it for a quick breakfast :D

Evan! said:
Wow, I did the same thing!:eek: 6 oz. is fine. I like biscuit, particularly in British style browns and IPAs. Looks good - good luck!

Cutting the efficiency back to 70% was a good idea, 65% might be a better bet for a first time, but you should be in the ball park. In a small batch like this, I would cut back the cara-pils to no more than 1/2 pound. You will get mostly non-fermentable sugars from this addition. This will raise your final gravity and the perceived sweetness of your beer. A full pound will make your beer way too sweet for my taste, especially with only 15 IBU to balance it out.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Bugeaterbrewing said:
In a small batch like this, I would cut back the cara-pils to no more than 1/2 pound.

I keep forgetting that this is going to be a smaller batch, good point. I'm excited to taste the results! The things that intrigue me the most about AG are control over color (I can get it as light as a Bud, but with WAY more depth of malt and hop flavor). Also, the freshness of ingredients and variety and control of malt used is a huge thing for me. I just started experimenting with Munich, Vienna and Biscuit malts - seems like I can finally get that "microbrewed" depth of malt character that I feel was previously lacking in my extract/specialty brews. Fantastic, thanks guys!

Back