1at ever batch is Brewed and bottled!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigj_309

Reaction score
My first brew is coming along nicely, used a pre-mixed wort and left in fermenter for 2 weeks. Then bottled nearly 2 weeks ago with carbonation drops. Just checked in on it it's looking good (from what i can see through the bottle) but there's some residue at the bottom of the bottles. Should I move the bottles around a bit to mix in the last of the sediment or should i leave it? There's definitely bubbles in the liquid and gas has built up in the bottles. My mix guide says it should be ready after 2 weeks in the bottle (that will be Wednesday) how can i tell when the brew really is ready to drink?

Thanks for any help in advance

The sediment is yeast. The carbonation drops are just per measured amounts of sugar and after they eat the available sugars they just fall out. When you pour make sure to leave that last bit in the bottom or your tummy might take issues.

Only way to tell is to crack one open! I typically give two weeks before I even think to open one, though.

Also, try not to shake them around too much. You want to keep out any O2 that might be in there.

Congrats on the first batch, welcome to the hobby and the group, from CO :mug:

Leave them another week- just to be sure they're carbonated, then chill 'em a few days and you're ready to drink!

Thanks all, i'll reassess in another week. Just concerned as if i start pouring with how they are at the minute i think the sediment will get dredged up into the flow and therfore into the glass, will leave another week then do a few days in cold store and see how we go!

I opened a bottle and it was nice! Very fizzy though! Problem is i could only pour about half the bottle (very carefully) before the sediment mixed up again and clouded the rest so i left the clouded stuff in the bottle to settle. Question is how is best to pour the beer out without clouding it up by disturbing the sediment?

Try not to "glug" out of the bottle. A nice smooth pour. I assume you refrigerated.

Aside from that, do the best you can. Enjoy it!

Latest posts

Back