18% meads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveruch

Reaction score
Last glass of 16 year old 18% raspberry mead and last glass of 18 year old 18% cherry mead.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220207-093425.png
    Screenshot_20220207-093425.png
    677.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20220207-093403.png
    Screenshot_20220207-093403.png
    646.9 KB · Views: 21
They were kind of harsh for the first couple of years, but quite good in their mid teens. I had them put away to age, but the reason I was holding on to them became moot, so I gave most away and drank the rest.

I have found higher ABV melomels tend to peak at 2 to 4 years. Really don't improve at all past that. Unfortunately have not kept any longer than 6 years. Traditional higher ABV mead for some reason tend to continue to get a bit better. I have a couple bottles at 10 years that are amazing! I might be biased but definately better than at 6 or 8.

I find mine typically peak 4-6 years old. After that they tend to turn. Cork bottled, stored on their sides, etc.
I have a couple batches of what I guess you would call hydromels -2 pounds per gallon, not exactly weak as this still puts these around 9%)- that I brewed in 2017. That’s 5 years. I opened one recently and found it had really improved over when it was younger. Mine are in beer bottles with standard crown caps.

I've made a few cysers that were around 12% ABV, bottled in 12-oz beer bottles with crown caps. For mine, 4 or 5 years seems to be the peak -- they slowly get more bland after that. Still OK and quite drinkable, but no longer at their best.

Latest posts

Back