15 minute test sludge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
I just tried a 15 minute extract boil in hopes to see what late addition hops do.

I put 0.5 oz hops at 15 and 1.5 at 5. so lots and very late.

After the wort chill, when i dumped out the brew pot, there was a LOT of green cakey sludge. I mean a LOT. I have seen cold break before but not like this. I tasted it and I could taste the hop pellets. So was this experiment a waste? I wonder how much of my hops are actually in the beer.

sorry, 2 gallon boil 2 gallon total. 3.3lbs lme

The green sludge is a mixture of cold break and hop pellets. I usually try to leave this behind as much as I can. It's not really the hop material you want to remain in your beer, it's the oils and flavor compounds that are extracted during the boil.

I may be wrong on this, but I seem to remember that at temperatures at or above 170F is when you get the best extraction of these compounds. This is also called hop utilization. To be honest, I'm no expert on that sort of thing. Experimentation has always been my way to go...plus I get to spend more time brewing! I wouldn't worry about leaving the sludge behind as this would only take up more space in your fermentation vessel.

Happy Brewing!

When I do the 15 minute APA from homebrew radio I dump all the kettle into the fermentation vessel. No ill effects and one of my favorite brews. Sure helps get established/ keep that pipeline in order.

Back