American Pale Ale 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had not brewed in almost 2 months and was down to my last full, untapped keg, so I needed to brew more than one batch this weekend. I thought I would give this recipe a try, but using different hops (Pacific Gem for bittering and Chinook for everything else). I decided that I would brew an all grain saison and then brew this while I was mashing. Wow, to borrow a Staples ad, "that was easy." It took me 95 minutes from heating the water to pitching the yeast! That gave me a 95 minute mash for the saison which yielded 87% efficiency using no sparge. In total, I brewed 11.50 gallons (5.50 gallons of 15 minute pale ale + 6 gallons of all grain saison) in 4 1/2 hours including clean up. If the pale ale comes out good, I will definitely do this again during mashing an all grain beer. Thanks!

So, essentially, you can do a short boil with any extract brew? Like the wheat beer I have coming up, that's 6# of wheat DME with one hop addition during the boil? What does it do to the color of the beer, assuming it'd be lighter as the sugars are boiled for less time?

The boil has several purposes, including hop isomerization, wort sterilization, "hot break" formation (although I think most extracts remove the hot break before it goes on the shelf), and driving off DMS (typically an issue with all-grain Pilsner malt).

You are correct that color can darken during the boil. Although, that's not usually something people go for with a wheat, so a short boil should be fine for a wheat extract brew. The biggest thing I'd worry about is that your hop isomerization in a 15-minute boil will be significantly lower than with a 60 or 90 minute boil. Use software or calculate your targeted IBUs and hop additions accordingly.

The boil has several purposes, including hop isomerization, wort sterilization, "hot break" formation (although I think most extracts remove the hot break before it goes on the shelf), and driving off DMS (typically an issue with all-grain Pilsner malt).

You are correct that color can darken during the boil. Although, that's not usually something people go for with a wheat, so a short boil should be fine for a wheat extract brew. The biggest thing I'd worry about is that your hop isomerization in a 15-minute boil will be significantly lower than with a 60 or 90 minute boil. Use software or calculate your targeted IBUs and hop additions accordingly.

Thanks for the response, and I understand that a shorter boil time would effect the ibu's with my hop additions, which is why I think it'd be awesome for a wheat beer. I don't want it hoppy, I'd do an ounce at 15 minutes, and maybe an ounce or two at flameout. It'd be super low IBU's, but I could still get some aroma with flameout/whirlpool hopping and dry hopping, if I wanted.

I think I have willemette bought for bittering and glacier for my aroma hops. I did all cascade last time and it was really, really good, but a few people thought it was a bit hoppy, and that was just 1oz @ 60min

Grabbed everything this weekend to do a 2 gallon batch of this with citra, hope to brew it this week one evening, excited to taste it in a month

Here it is..
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Wheat Beer 2

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American Wheat Beer
Boil Time: 15 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.000
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 5.36%
IBU (tinseth): 14.71
SRM (morey): 3.59

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat - (late addition) (100%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 13.3
1 oz - Glacier, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.5, Use: Aroma for 1 min, IBU: 1.41
1 oz - Glacier, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.5, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 67 F

Here’s a fun sort of similar beer I just made about a month ago and it’s delicious. I used two bags of Muntons Extra Light DME and I got a free bag of Wyeast British Ale yeast. I never used British Ale before and read up on it and figured it’d be fine for this beer. I made a starter for it. However, the big difference is that instead of Cascade, I used Galaxy hops and I changed the steeping grains to Munich Malt. I didn’t want it too dark, just a nice light gold color. I put in .5 oz at 15 minutes, and then 1 oz each at 10, 5 and 1 minutes. And then I took 1.5 oz and put that in the whirlpool. It’s not as hazy as a NE IPA but it’s not clear and the flavor is very nice.

The pipeline is empty, I've a couple of gallons in the kegerator and a few bottles and cans kicking around. I am super busy with boat, car and house projects, as well as family commitments. I've been looking to squeeze in a quick brewday, maybe when it's too rainy for other work, but still dry enough to brew. And then I remembered this thread.
Thank you all, I'll be brewing it soon.

Time to bring this back! I've not brewed in around 3 years but the current situation has me climbing the walls haha. Got all the brewing gear back out and I'm currently in the middle of making this again. I made a ton of batches of this beforehand using lighter malt, changing up the hops and I loved every single one of them.

Right now I'm using golden light DME and Caramel 40L w/ the cascade just becuase that's what I had on hand. Looking forward to getting back in to the brewing game!

Time to bring this back! I've not brewed in around 3 years but the current situation has me climbing the walls haha. Got all the brewing gear back out and I'm currently in the middle of making this again. I made a ton of batches of this beforehand using lighter malt, changing up the hops and I loved every single one of them.

Right now I'm using golden light DME and Caramel 40L w/ the cascade just becuase that's what I had on hand. Looking forward to getting back in to the brewing game!
Glad we're all making the best of this crap situation.

Question though, are people actually doing a 30 day primary for a Pale Ale?
And 7 in secondary?

After a 2.5 year brewing hiatus, I've gotten back into this wonderful art. Started with an all-grain 5.7% pale ale using El Dorado, Lemondrop, and Cascade hops, came out awesome. And started kegging for the first time.

Last night I brewed the famous 15 minute cascade pale ale with DME. I remember brewing this several times and it always came out great. I wanted an easy brew night and something to keep the pipeline rolling. This was a 3 gallon batch using all cascades in the boil/flame out, but will be dry hopping with Citra. Looking forward to getting this in a keg in 3-4 weeks.

:ban:Cheers!

After 12 days in primary and two weeks in the secondary, which included a dry hop of citra for 5 days and a dry hop of cascade for 1 day, I'm VERY HAPPY to report this came out fantastic! Just like I remember it. While I've moved well beyond extract, a 2 hour brew night is just too tempting not to make this a few times a year. Floral, slightly fruity, with a hint of pine.

Cheers!
20201221_173059.jpg

My second time brewing this since my return from hiatus. Did a virtual brew night with a buddy who only brews extract, so we both did this. I brewed 3 gallons and racked it over a pound of pineapple and 1oz Citra, .5 oz Cascade. Used gelatin to clear before I kegged. Turned out marvelous! Both pineapple and/or orange peel work well with this beer. Cheers!
20210303_182550.jpg

I was thinking about adding a small percentage of biscuit malt and scaling back the C60 a touch. Any thoughts?

I think you can freely modify this recipe. The concept is a 15 minute extract plus recipe with all late hops. Last time I used a mini-mash of Munich and Azacca and Horizon hops I think. Came out really good.

Thanks for the recipe Carter - looks tasty! I’ve been starting to brew more 2.5 - 3 gal all-grain recipes lately as test batches, but for quick personal consumption I wouldn’t mind doing some quick 2.5 gal extract recipes. Due to smaller ingredient lists I’d want to buy enough for 3-4 recipes. For storage I’d order DME - any recommendations on best source of supply for DME prices?

When NB, AIH, MoreBeer, Great Fermentation’, Williams have specials I sometimes decide to purchase an all-grain kit instead of using my bulk grain supply, but I’d prefer to by DME whenever I want.

Best price suggestions?

Cheers 🍻

I think you can freely modify this recipe. The concept is a 15 minute extract plus recipe with all late hops. Last time I used a mini-mash of Munich and Azacca and Horizon hops I think. Came out really good.
Hey John, have you posted this recipe? Wouldn’t mind trying it out if it‘s all grain…😁

Cheers🍻

I ended up adding some biscuit malt and less c60, used lutra yeast and cascade and ahtanum hops. It turned out great!

Hey John, have you posted this recipe? Wouldn’t mind trying it out if it‘s all grain…😁

Cheers🍻

I like it enough that I'm tempted to convert the recipe to all grain. In this case I just needed a batch fast. The recipe is
3# Pale DME
3# Amber DME
1# Munich mashed in a half gallon drink cooler for twenty minutes
1oz@ of Horizon and Azacca at 15
1oz@ of Horizon and Azacca at 1
If I do it all grain, I might just use the APA with Crystal recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. Even with AG, I rarely mash or boil for an hour, usually 45 minutes. I also sometimes use a partial mash method to quicken my brew day. My version has the grains mashing while the extract and hops are boiling, and then add the mashed wort at the end.

I like it enough that I'm tempted to convert the recipe to all grain. In this case I just needed a batch fast. The recipe is
3# Pale DME
3# Amber DME
1# Munich mashed in a half gallon drink cooler for twenty minutes
1oz@ of Horizon and Azacca at 15
1oz@ of Horizon and Azacca at 1
If I do it all grain, I might just use the APA with Crystal recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. Even with AG, I rarely mash or boil for an hour, usually 45 minutes. I also sometimes use a partial mash method to quicken my brew day. My version has the grains mashing while the extract and hops are boiling, and then add the mashed wort at the end.
Thanks John I’ll definitely try the recipe 👌 I’ve never done partial mashes due to extra work and cleanup, but with only 1# it’s simple. And for getting 2-3 gal out of a partial mash like this it‘s two thumbs up! 👍👍 Some days you wanna brew but just don’t wanna deal with the full all-grain setup…

Cheers🍻

KBW.

Just kegged 2.5 gallons of this to have on hand in between all grain hazy IPAs. This one was all Amarillo hops and racked over 3 sliced, sanitized Cara Cara oranges. My latest hazy should tap out this weekend, so I'll be able to report back on this 15 Minute version in a few days. Cheers!

:ban:

The result:

15.jpg

Came out nearly perfect. Clarified with gelatin before kegging. Great orange taste and the Amarillo hops suit it well.

Great, easy brew to fit into the pipeline once in a while.

IMG_20220306_185236498.jpg

Two weeks in the bottle, but good after 10 days. I modified this because I didn't have any Crystal 60, so I did Golden Light and Pale Ale extract (Liquid and DME, respectively), and steeped Crystal 20 (12%) and Crystal 90 (2%). As good as the OP describes, with enough malt body to balance out the Cascade hops. I dry hopped for 5-6 days.

Back