15 minute brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
I am contemplating an experiment. 4 times the hops, 15 minute boil, obviously all extract. Anyone ever try anything like this? Mathematically it should have the same bitterness, but tons of aroma.

and tons of crypto-spiridium.

seriously... will 15 minute boil count as sterilizing the wort ? i don't know how long mold spores need to be boiled etc.

Hmmmm. I put the majority of my extract in at flameout.

yeah, i legitimately dont know...

... if boiling for only 15 minutes is okay, why do people even bother boiling for an hour?

i could sure use the saved heat in summer (i'm still in my kitchen)

You need the hour to extract the sugars... But thats done for us that use extract right? I put most of my hops in at 15 and 5 minuted.

Maybe I need a 1 gallon carboy and put the lab coat on.

Also, since the extract has already been boiled you just need to boil long enough to get enough hop isomerization to get the bitterness you want. You can up that by using more.

There's a thread on the site (somewhere can't find it now) about getting your brewing time down to 20 minutes which includes using a pressure cooker to further increase isomerization of hop oil.

Longer boils are needed for AG to push of SMM (precursor to DMS) as well as to create more flavors through Millard reaction.

Also, Norther sells 20 minute boil kits so...

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...-kits/zoomin-pale-ale-20-minute-boil-beer-kit

One reason is hop utilization. Only boiling for a few minutes won't give you the bitterness that hops provide during a long boil.

One reason is hop utilization. Only boiling for a few minutes won't give you the bitterness that hops provide during a long boil.

right, i never considered this as i buy cheap hops by the pounds...
... but it's a very good point... especially if you have a taste for Saaz or Citra.

with willamette at 9$ a pound i'm thinking i could save a lot of time and heat doing a short boil next time

Well, I know a 20-minute boil will work given I had good success with NB's 20-minute Kolsch extract kit.

This has been done, I think.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=210253
I did an all-Citra extract APA last year, only a 25 minute boil. Turned out great (can't find the recipe but I saw it on here).

I would imagine a longer boil means less hops. If 1oz hops @ 60min = 4oz hops @ 15 min, then I'm thinking a bit more hop residue, less time to clean as I go, and of course, the added cost of 300% of my normal hops ($7-9 for me, since I don't have the space to buy in bulk). I'm kind of a noob, so I might not have that right.

There are many reasons to do a 60 minute boil. Not all apply to brewing with extract however. Good beer can be made doing short boil extract batches. I have made a few short boil batches.

Hop utilization.

Color.

Develop flavors in the boil from caramelizing sugars and multiple hop additions.

While this does not apply to extract brewing, all grain brewers need to do a full boil or even longer to boil off compounds that give off flavors such as DMS. The boil for all grain brewers also necessary for flavor and color.

I am contemplating an experiment. 4 times the hops, 15 minute boil, obviously all extract. Anyone ever try anything like this? Mathematically it should have the same bitterness, but tons of aroma.

This has been done by myself and others on here. It can produce a very good beer. It does use a lot of hops. 15 minutes kills the nasties...

Just Do It!

:mug:

and tons of crypto-spiridium.

seriously... will 15 minute boil count as sterilizing the wort ? i don't know how long mold spores need to be boiled etc.

If you have crypto in your water you have much bigger issues than if your beer will turn out ok with a 15 minute boil vs. 60 minute boil.

a lot of us are not on classic city water ... my water is raw untreated.

crypto has always been my go-to worry, though now i'm starting to fear wild yeasts more

off topic? : )

(hijack)
i have a deep well, which has beautiful clean water. as i understand (i work in water management) past 200 feet down and the well can't support bacteria.

but in summer i also draw water from a surface source, that is, of course where i worry about crypto and giardia. not that i've ever proven it's even there... its just what comes to mind when i think of possible nasties.

Just did a all Citra 15min pale ale last month. It came out awesome!

5gal
6lb light DME
1lb Crystal 60 (steep till you reach 170*)

2oz citra 15min
1oz citra 5min
1oz citra 0min
1oz citra 7 days dry hop
US 05 yeast

My citra pale ale.JPG

You need the hour to extract the sugars... But thats done for us that use extract right? I put most of my hops in at 15 and 5 minuted.

Maybe I need a 1 gallon carboy and put the lab coat on.

You don't need an hour to "extract sugars". The sugars are there, and boiling of extract for too long can cause darkening and other undesired maillard reactions. I would add the bulk of the extract at flameout to minimize those reactions.

The last four batches I've made have been 25-30 minute boil IPA's. I've tasted three of the four, and two of the three have been great. The other had a yeast-related off-flavor. I dig the shorter boil time with my busy work schedule!

Latest posts

Back