15 Gallons of Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Nice Guy

Reaction score
I just started 15 gallons of Apfelwein today, Ed Worts Recipe! 15 gallons apple juice, 6# corn sugar, an 3 packs of montrachet.

I had to start a thread because it is all in one 15 gallon glass carboy and I'm excited! This is better than my brute trashcan idea too, that will just have to wait a little. Now I might come close to having enough on hand... well, close.

I plan on keeping 2 cases to drink when they carb up, 2 cases for 6 months, and 2 for a year.

Now all I need to do is get another one going here in two weeks!

Ahh man, I just made this thread to post whore! Can't you feel my power growing with every post...

Alright, I'll try to take some pics soon.

I took off my tinfoil airlock today and put on the real one. I would have used a napkin but the fermentation is too vigorous, it would be wet even with the space I left. I let my last 5 gal batch breathe for the first few days and no rhino farts. I also used 3 cans concentrate in addition to the standard recipe so maybe that had something to do with it, not sure.

My house is at about 60 degrees and the fermentation is so strong I bet this would blow the airlock at 75.

I have wanted this 15 gal carboy since I saw it at Ska, my LHBS. It is the holy grail of glass carboys, even came with a cool basket so it can be carried. No way I'm moving it though, it is probably 125 pounds full, scary!

me thinks this 15 gallon carboy is imaginary. me thinks he post whores to tease us with pics, and then talk about tin foil and napkins.

It's usually covered up with a hoodie...

carboy_15_gal.jpg

Sweet - I just did a 15G batch of this on Saturday:

SWMBO making the big Apfelwein batch...

Lotta bottles...when this ferments out, we'll transfer 5G to 3 different carboys and rack them onto some fruit - I'm thinking Peaches in one, Cherries in another and maybe some sort of spices for the third.

Are you planning on doing anything with fruit/spices or just leaving it as-is?

I'm just doing Ed's recipe spot on. I have about 8 different ciders going right now to see what I like the best. The Apfelwein is so good I will probably always make some though, I love it. I'll probably carb all of it too, I like it overcarbed like a champagne. I will keep 2 cases to drink and set aside 4 from every batch to age at least 6 months, I do this now but with 5 gal I get a case to drink and a case to age. I'm out right now, need to put those cases where I can't get to them easily!

I racked a galon of apfelwein onto a pound of blackberries 6 weeks ago, can't wait to see how it turns out. Today I'm transferring 4 liters off of 2# of raspberries to age, once again, can't wait to try.

I want to do peaches, cherries, and spices too, they all sound good.

This is an old thread, but how did aging the apfelwein on the fruit turn out? I've got 5 gallons that I want to split up into 1 gallon batches with variations. How long did you keep it on the fruit for?

Wow - sorry, totally missed this question for 4 years.

The peach was excellent but a lot of particulate in the final result if you move the keg AT ALL. Especially as you get down to the bottom of course.

Never ended up doing cherries or spices, but made 1 normal and 2 peach.

Still pull out one of the peaches from time to time and it only keeps getting better. It's like my Private Reserve now.

I racked 3 batches to a 15 gallon keg, letting that bulk age for a while. It's been 6 months since I made it and I'm testing my patience on diving into the half keg :eek:

Back