15 gallon plastic fermenter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
This is for those of you who use the below as a primary fermenter.
74065p.jpg

I received mine today and it has the two bungs at the top one about 2.5 inches wide and one about 1.5 inches wide.

How did you convert it so that it can accept an air lock?

Once primary fermentation is done how do you get the beer/wine/etc out of it. It seems like a racking cane wouldnt reach to the bottom?

This is for those of you who use the below as a primary fermenter.
74065p.jpg

I received mine today and it has the two bungs at the top one about 2.5 inches wide and one about 1.5 inches wide.

How did you convert it so that it can accept an air lock?

Once primary fermentation is done how do you get the beer/wine/etc out of it. It seems like a racking cane wouldnt reach to the bottom?

my question is where do i get one?:D

my question is where do i get one?:D

I agree with Keith

but also i can help a bit...

Home Distillation Supplies from Brewhaus America

Biggest bung i ever found, i have one some where it pretty big

that should fit at least one of your holes, likely the 1.5inch one, the other i believe the fermenter came with lids for each hole??? then just put the other lid on.

Or if it did come with lids for each hole, take one lid and drill a hole in the center which is small enough to slid an airlock stem into and seal around it with some food grade silicone sealant and let it dry for 2 days. youll have to drill out that big Bung any way

as for the racking you can extend your racking cane with a simple 3/8in (or 1/4in) barbed fitting, hose, and hose clamps to secure and seal the fitting. Make sure you boil or sanitize the fitting(brass or nylon) and hose clamps (likely steel but might find plastic)

cheers

the drum should have a smaller opening opposite the 2". I'm wondering if a stopper w/hole would fit into the smaller opening so you don't need to drill any holes.

I think the regular carboy stopper might be a little bit too big to fit in the hole. Also the hole is threaded so it may not make a good seal.

I dont believe so the barrel I have is a one piece. I think Im gonna see what other size bungs the LHBS has. Either that or drill a standard sized hole in the 2.5 inch diameter hole.

I drilled a hole into the middle of the piece that screws into the hole and fit a universal bung into it. I also line mine with a 15 gallon food grade plastic bag to help with easy cleanup. I just pull the excess bag up through the hole and spread it open then insert the bung and airlock.
Brewday_6-24-08_BB_Fermenter.jpg

10 gallons of a Belgian Blonde that I used an auto-siphon to pull into 2 separate 6 gallon carboy for secondary.
Equip_10galFermandApef.jpg

Those look like they would work very nicely and be easy to clean. The big question is what was in them to begin with.

As for the original question the ones I have are probably a bit different because a stopper with and air lock fits nicely in the smaller hole. I get mine for free at my local home brew store. They get LME in them and just throw them away so I can pretty much get as many as I want for free.

Wait, you line the inside of your 15G plastic fermenter with a 15G plastic bag? So you're fermenting in plastic bag...I'm not sure if I'm really really into it or worried about your beer...So confused right now.

I've only done it once and the results were great. My LHBS is a Brew on Premises and they use the same concept. I myself am not a big fan of plastic, but it was an option for me before i had the multiple glass carboys i have now.

There is a brew pub near me that uses the 55 gallon plastic drums to ferment in and they also use large plastic bags in them. Works well for them.

Back