1318, is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garyblueberry

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So I brewed a beer last Sunday, and used wyeast 1318 as I see it's the usual yeast we can get for a NE ipa (granted you don't have access to Conan..etc.) and it seems my yeast is still in the phase where it looks like a brain at the top of my fermenter, with no fallout on the bottom. Usually my beers would have done that "snow globe" effect and dropped out by now. I started fermentation at 65 and pushed it up to 68 two days ago. My question is: is this normal for this strain of yeast? Will it ever dropout?

Every batch and every yeast is different. Even the same yeast with different brews will be different. Five days with active fermentation is not unusual. It's a good thing. Enjoy!

1318 is a top cropper. My first ferment with it was still hanging at the top and thick at 12-14 days. I racked out from under it. Sometimes you have to poke a hole through it to dry hop in the primary. You are fine.

Same experience as Oldskewl on my last two batches. I was worried my dry hop pellets wouldn't make it to the beer, but they slowly worked their way down.

Back