12v high temp sealed motor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
Been kicking around the idea of installing a motor that will power an auger to continually stir the mash..

Anyone ever done this?

Any leads on an reasonably priced motor that could handle being over a mash kettle?

Would not only have to be able to handle the temps, but also the moisture...

Should probably be low voltage for safety reasons...

Been kicking around the idea of installing a motor that will power an auger to continually stir the mash..

Anyone ever done this?

Any leads on an reasonably priced motor that could handle being over a mash kettle?

Would not only have to be able to handle the temps, but also the moisture...

Should probably be low voltage for safety reasons...
most brewery mash tuns do this from the bottom...doing it from the top is going to require some heavy duty components.
I have thought of it but after experimenting with recirculating vs stirring the mash I have found no benefit to stirring the mash at this size.. im getting 91% efficiency on average without it.

I made a 24v DC stirrer that mounts over my BK and stirrs the hops in my hop spider and the moisture and heat have taken its toll over the years but it still works. just noisy

most brewery mash tuns do this from the bottom...doing it from the top is going to require some heavy duty components.
I have thought of it but after experimenting with recirculating vs stirring the mash I have found no benefit to stirring the mash at this size.. im getting 91% efficiency on average without it.

I made a 24v DC stirrer that mounts over my BK and stirrs the hops in my hop spider and the moisture and heat have taken its toll over the years but it still works. just noisy

I thought about perhaps mounting a battery drill and some way to keep the switch at the right speed.. Maybe one of those right angle cordless screwdrivers? Would probably have to add a gear reduction/torque multiplier..

Getting ready to finally fabricate/install my recirc and get back to brewing and am planning to use a cofe (sp?) tube in the middle in addition to the nozzles around the edge, and just got to thinking that an auger would be the hot ticket instead of the cofe in the middle...

Mostly just musing at this point

Maybe something like this, with a right angle gear reduction on the end that attaches to the auger?

Something like a power window motor could be used to drive it?

Flex shaft

Last edited by a moderator:
Back