1272 Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
Brewed up NB's Chinook IPA. OG was only 1.044, probably off a little on my boil off rate, but anyway - a very mild OG. Pitched a healthy harvested starter of 1272. A week after brew day I checked the gravity and it's down to 1.012 - pretty much where I want it to be. The only "problem" is the krausen is still very thick. My "plan" is to let it sit in primary an other week and then rack for 1 week and then dry hop for a second week in primary. (Please don't let this turn into another secondary is dumb thread). I just wondered if anyone else has had a thick krausen on 1272 after 1 week in primary with a mild OG.

Never used 1272 before (done around 50 brews). Decided to try it. Brewed a 1.060 IPA, pitched a decanted 2L starter. Didn't measure the gravity, but when I went to dry hop in primary a week later there was still 3 inches of Krausen that looked like it was slowly falling back in.

So all I can add is that I'm seeing the same behavior.

I've regularly had the krausen clearing around two weeks from the start of active fermentation with WY 1272.

Alright - good to know. My OG was only 1.044 and it was down to 1.012 a week after brew day but that krausen was still very much there. I'll rack under it on Thursday assuming the gravity is still 1.012. Hopefully the krausen is gone by then though.

The krausen was pretty much gone today when I racked/dry hopped. It got it down to 1.010. I'm in the midst of harvesting/washing the yeast now so I guess I'm cool with 1272.

Latest posts

Back