120v or 240v?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baist111

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wanting to get into electric brewing for a couple of weeks now, and have been reading just about every thread that I can about it since then. I bought a 44qt kettle with a basket that I plan to use for my eBiab system. I've decided that I would like to also build a simple control box with a PID to control the mash temp, and be able to set it to manual mode for the boil. I haven't made my mind up yet about a pump, I might just build in the functionality and add it later if my mash temps vary too much.

With that being said, I can't decide if I should go with a 240v system or 120v. I don't mind doing electrical work, but my current electrical panel is 100% full - so to be able to expand on it, I'd have to hire someone to come out and replace it, but I'm not ready to go there yet. So, my 2 options are: brew in the garage with dual 120v system, and would also give me the flexibility to brew in my basement later. Or steal the 240v from the electric heat in my basement (which doesn't get used), and brew in the basement. I don't turn on the heat in my basement so it can get down to 40F in the winter, but it's even colder in my unheated garage. This option would also require me to swap out the breaker, currently it's a 20A breaker.

If you had these options what would you do?

I have never really felt comfortable with the dual 120vac feeds. I was in the same boat in the garage with the panel full but opted for a second sub panel. I am happy with that decision. I ended up added a 50A and 30A 240vac circuit for my welder and brewing.

I have never really felt comfortable with the dual 120vac feeds. I was in the same boat in the garage with the panel full but opted for a second sub panel. I am happy with that decision. I ended up added a 50A and 30A 240vac circuit for my welder and brewing.

Now I'm glad I posted my question... adding a sub panel is something that I've never thought about. That certainly something I could do myself, and would allow me a lot more flexibility about where I could brew.

Any particular reason you don't feel comfortable with dual 120V?

PID will require a pump, or a stirrer. You can't make adjustments on a stagnant mash. I guess you could stir constantly:confused:

So, basically what you're saying is with a PID and no pump. Basically once I get to temp and mash-in, I should just shut off the heating element? Sounds exactly like what I'm doing right now with my propane.

So, basically what you're saying is with a PID and no pump. Basically once I get to temp and mash-in, I should just shut off the heating element? Sounds exactly like what I'm doing right now with my propane.

Yes, the real value of having a PID is to automate temperature control during the mash, gently adding heat as it is called for from the temp probe. If the mash isn't recirced, or stirred, the probe will call for heat, and the heat can't really reach the probe, but will burn the mash...Just like using propane, if you add heat you stir it into the mash.

Yes, the real value of having a PID is to automate temperature control during the mash, gently adding heat as it is called for from the temp probe. If the mash isn't recirced, or stirred, the probe will call for heat, and the heat can't really reach the probe, but will burn the mash...Just like using propane, if you add heat you stir it into the mash.

Thanks for the input, that's something I hadn't picked up on when reading about doing eBiab. I guess that's another decision that's made for me already.

So I think I've decided that going with 240 is going to be the best bet... Now with that in mind, what's easier installing a spa panel or a 30A gfci breaker? I have to replace or install a new 30 A breaker anyway.

Easier: 30a GFCI breaker. However, you may find that the regular 30a breaker and the spa panel GFCI are less expensive than a single 30a GFCI breaker. The spa panel also gives you a "portable" GFCI.

Back