11 Gal Bayou Classic eBIAB element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pablosbrewing

Reaction score
Moving lost my LP tanks, 20+ year old LP burner getting pretty rusty, perfect opportunity to re-assess how I brew :)

I have been considering RIMS for the mash in addition to electric boil for some time, but in the past few days I am thinking to simplify further by going to single vessel eBIAB.

I'm looking at 240V in a Bayou 11 gallon with basket. Looking for element recommendations please?

Greetings from Bangor!

I am in the process of moving up from an 8 Gallon Bayou that I use with an 1800 watt induction burner, and 1440 watt internal element. You might be hard pressed to find a suitable 240v element that will fit the diameter of the 11 gal Bayou Classic. I've been researching the matter for quite some time, and I ended up opting for the 62 quart BC so that I could install a Camco 4500 watt ULWD element in it.

If you already have the 11 gallon kettle, the only real option that I found would be one of the Blichmann Boilcoils. They have a 3750 watt element that should fit the 11 gallon kettle, but they are way too pricey for me, and I worry about using them with a mesh bag if needing to add some heat during the mash. If you were to use a stainless steel filter basket that was sized to fit inside of the coil it would probably work, but that addition would cost you another $150 or so.

By the way, are there any good LHBS in your area? We have a decent one here in Bangor (Central Street Farmhouse), but I sometimes like to travel around and see what else is available.

I would also add, if you haven't already bought the kettle, that you would have much more flexibility with BIAB in a larger one. I do a 15 gal (still on propane - I'm an e-brewing envier), and I can make larger batches as well as up to 6 gallons of the highest gravity brew one can imagine. :)

You might be hard pressed to find a suitable 240v element that will fit the diameter of the 11 gal Bayou Classic. I've been researching the matter for quite some time, and I ended up opting for the 62 quart BC so that I could install a Camco 4500 watt ULWD element in it.

Apparently that element is 17.75" long. Crap. So much for my 40 quart, 240v system idea. The pot is only 14" wide.

I have a Camco 5500 watt ulwd ripple element in my BC 44qt and it works fine. I did have to bend it a little to get it to fit. I also have a 2" TC fitting welded to the pot which adds about a 1/2" or so. I attached a picture but it is kind of hard to see.

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

Greetings from Bangor!

Greetings! I need to update my profile - due to the plant in Pittsfield closing I am now in Lincolnton, NC. Feels weird after living in Maine for 50 years.

By the way, are there any good LHBS in your area? We have a decent one here in Bangor (Central Street Farmhouse), but I sometimes like to travel around and see what else is available.

There is one in Gardiner http://www.mainiacbrewing.com/ Good grain and hops selection, good prices.

There was one in Farmington that I heard was pretty good (Kennebec Homebrew) - their web site is down but they apear to be still on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/kennebechomebrew

Apparently that element is 17.75" long. Crap. So much for my 40 quart, 240v system idea. The pot is only 14" wide.

I bought the Camco 02953/02953 4500 watt element, which is 14.6 inches long total, of which about 13.5" actually extends into the vessel, depending on the external housing you use to mount it. It's a close call, and only having a half inch or less between a very hot point in the element and the outer wall of the 40 qt kettle would cause me concern - maybe not warranted, but that small space might cause some scorching issues, because the heat would be concentrated in a small circulation space. My 62 quart BC is has about a 15.25" diameter, and that extra half inch of space allows a for more circulation space around the 'tip' of the element. I feel more comfortable with that, personally.

I bought the Camco 02953/02953 4500 watt element, which is 14.6 inches long total, of which about 13.5" actually extends into the vessel, depending on the external housing you use to mount it. It's a close call, and only having a half inch or less between a very hot point in the element and the outer wall of the 40 qt kettle would cause me concern - maybe not warranted, but that small space might cause some scorching issues, because the heat would be concentrated in a small circulation space. My 62 quart BC is has about a 15.25" diameter, and that extra half inch of space allows a for more circulation space around the 'tip' of the element. I feel more comfortable with that, personally.

Can you tell me how far up the port for the Camco 2953 needs to be to allow the thing to spin in? I am interested in the minimum distance from the bottom of the inside of the kettle to the middle of the 1" port. I am looking at a port that is welded in and not a weldless bulkhead, so I have rotate the element for installation...(I think...).

I use this element in the same kettle and it fits fine:

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/Heating-Element-5500-Watt-SS-Twist-lock-Plug-276p4646.htm

It looks like maybe it has changed since I ordered it so you may want to verify it's size with the vendor.

I did a full write up on my build with partlist at the bottom here:

http://www.hommelhomebrew.com/?p=57

also you can read my first couple brew notes to see the issues I ran into. Nothing big, mostly just getting used to BIAB.

1st brew:
http://www.hommelhomebrew.com/?p=139

2nd brew (which is about to be kegged):
http://www.hommelhomebrew.com/?p=148

Moving lost my LP tanks, 20+ year old LP burner getting pretty rusty, perfect opportunity to re-assess how I brew :)

I have been considering RIMS for the mash in addition to electric boil for some time, but in the past few days I am thinking to simplify further by going to single vessel eBIAB.

I'm looking at 240V in a Bayou 11 gallon with basket. Looking for element recommendations please?

hey Pablo,

can I ask what set up you eventually went with? I’m considering putting a 240v ripple in an 11g bayou kettle for my “final” ebiab rig. Curious to know if you ran into issues with the element hitting the kettle.

I have the boil coil in 44 quart Bayou with the metal basket and a homemade bag. I went with 120v and have not regretted. I did install 20 amp outlets and wire the boxes for 20amps. BY the time I crush my grains, add salts and everything else, the water is hot.

I enjoyed building but by the time you buy all the parts it is easier to go with the Blichman or auber power box.

These Australian based ebrewers are quite a bit cheaper if a little smaller, especially after all the fittings and decent pumps etc. But not as serviceable.

Back